Zurich International Redundancies

Manx Bean

56 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

They have a responsibility given most of the people living here are from the UK. It's literally the other way around: the Isle of Man has taken on responsibility for thousands of UK citizens.

I think you'll find that they have contributed their fair share to the coffers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

We have too many liabilities in relation to revenue. Civil Service needs to be reduced by at least 50% for the island to become solvent.

Civil Service needs to be reduced by at least 50% , is that 25,000 reduced by half ?

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

I think you'll find that they have contributed their fair share to the coffers.

That is true of some but as a whole they couldn't have contributed a "fair" share proportionate to what they were getting out of it.

If they had, the government would have had a balanced budget all these years. Money coming in has simply gone to more people moving here, with the island itself just a carcass being fed off by competing carrion eaters.

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

At this rate every private sector employee will be required to adopt 2 civil servants in order to keep them feed and housed. 

Phew, just 2? That's a relief, I was worrying about it being nearer 5...

On 6/25/2019 at 3:10 PM, Max Power said:

Why would the UK want to take responsibility for the costs of running an island that would virtually be unable to support itself anymore? Health, education, policing, local government etc would shift to say Lancashire. The only jobs would be those that the community could support, I think the population would fall dramatically and we would become very run down, very quickly.

I don’t disagree. The IOW seems to manage OK though. And it could become a bit of a Celtic Sandbanks.

ultimately, if the place implodes, capitulation will be the only option.

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I don’t disagree. The IOW seems to manage OK though. And it could become a bit of a Celtic Sandbanks.

ultimately, if the place implodes, capitulation will be the only option.

Sandbanks has a much better climate and first class commuter links especially to London.  Likewise the IoW has great commuter links.  

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The original poster got this thread was spot on -

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/

Overall not a good sign when the workers being lost are from the IT department. 

It also explains why the jobs are going to Dubai.  Companies are looking to cut costs on IT staff and always claiming that there are 'skills shortages' and that they need to import workers from India to cope - rather than paying the going wage or actually training some local people.  The UK Immigration services have (at least intermittently) been trying to cut back on this and, coupled with the usual problems of trying to get anything done with a section of the UK Government that is disorganised and irrational at the best of times, offshoring the jobs is another way of getting round having to pay decent wages and places like Dubai rely on importing (often exploited) workers from the subcontinent to keep going - indeed they make up the bulk of the population.

On 6/25/2019 at 4:17 PM, woolley said:

Yes. We would be like a Scottish island only more remote. It is not in the UK's interest to interfere with the status quo. We know they need their tax havens so why would they change it?

Why do they need their tax havens?

On 6/27/2019 at 4:48 PM, NoTail said:

In general the days of large IT departments is at an end. One competent network administrator can do these days what would have been work for half a dozen only about 7 or 8 years ago. 

That is the theory anyway. Until you spend time dealing with a company which has outsourced its IT support and realized how dysfunctional it’s set up actually is. 

Following on from this topic and Walton's closing, I see from iomtoday that Lights of Man up at Spring Valley is the latest operation to announce that it's closing its doors, closing down sale now on.

This also still awaits comment from DfE reps who seem strangely quiet on such subjects in sharp contrast to photographic opportunities on opening events.

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Does Ralph Peake MHK still own lights of Mann? 

Luminaires isn't it, that he's involved with? The piece on Lights of Mann cites a Mr Chris Williams as the MD.

Archived