No wonder the psychiatric service is a shambles

Patient centred

Why is the clinical director of psychiatry allowed to continue as lead for the department of psychiatry whilst being investigated by the GMC for having a sexual relationship with a patient? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7231657/Married-psychiatrist-58-two-year-romance-patient.html

I hear that the person who he gave a job to and who he signed off to become a consultant via article 14 are acting as character witnesses. Conflict of interest? 

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'He then took hold of her hand and hugged her at the end of the session and the relationship became more affectionate. He would hold her hand, stroke her ear, play with her ear lobes and stroke her face with his hand. 

This fucking sick pervert needs castrating. Bring back the birch, no, no, the gallows!

A slight change of subject but when I was at school one of the teachers ended up leaving his wife and family and marrying one of his former pupils who he had taught since she was 11.

It might have raised a few eyebrows generally but the establishment were clearly ok with it all as he remained in his teaching post and was continually promoted and lauded.

24 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

Wow, if that happened that's about as bad as it gets.  Usually an automatic striking-off offence, and much, much worse than (say) ordering cannabis by post.  The strange thing is, until today I had never heard of him.  I never get any letters from him.  I had to look him up in the email directory to confirm that he really exists.  I wonder what he does (in his daytime job, I mean, not in his spare time...)

But one note of caution though: these are allegations, as yet unproven, from one complainant.  Often in these cases there is more than one woman making similar allegations, but when there is only one, one has to bear in mind the possibility that the complainant has mental health problems and is fabricating everything (after all, she was seeing a psychiatrist...)  I think we need to suspend judgement until this case is concluded.

Serious allegations indeed. Whatever the outcome his name has now been splashed all over the press, unlike his accuser.

I think it is well known by staff from that time that he was meeting this patient three times a week over a very extended period and these were home visits. People were wondering why as this level of personal attention is never required  unless you are a home treatment team with a very ill person  trying to prevent admission and even then you can only keep it up for short period of time due to workforce. I hope they have the work diaries. 

interesting question that though  what does he normally do in his day job? Is there a match with his paper job plan? Is there a job plan at all?  

It's Nobles Hospital. Such records are slack.

I know someone who used to book a patient in every Monday afternoon without their knowledge. They made up notes of the visit, to cover their tracks. I wondered if they did it for others too? Were they paid by the patient? Did they use Monday afternoon for shopping or just a kip? etc.

It;s fraud. But when it was brought to the hospitals attention they weren't apparently bothered.

Isle of Man etc

I think it is disgusting that this man's name has been plastered all over the media without a shred of evidence, just one disturbed woman's word and a bit of tittle tattle.   Here we go again, if the accused is to be named so should the accuser, level playing fields please.

54 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

Good God, this is a 72 page judgement relating to a whistleblowing / sex discrimination / bullying / harassment claim and it's only the directions given at a pre-hearing review - the main hearing itself is yet to take place.  All of this legal work is presumably, one way or another, being funded by the taxpayer.  Although I have sympathy for whistleblowers and victims of discrimination etc, it raises the philosophical question of when you should stand by your principles and fight, and when you should vote with your feet and walk away from a s**t job and find a different job (as in "there's a boat in the morning...").  I've done the latter twice in my career and not regretted it (my only regret being that I ever took the two s**t jobs in the first place).  Maybe it's time for both parties to move on rather than throwing more taxpayers money at this.

Problem is the individual departments are incapable of managing these things appropriately. Many many people have walked away after being broken. 

Just ask what the turnover of staff is in the psychology department. 

Im glad someone has decided to fight. Good on them. 

Patient Centred seems to be on a crusade against this man, nothing has been proven, one person's word against another who was troubled at the time.    I would treat all allegations with caution unless proved without doubt.   If accused are named so should accusers.

1 hour ago, BallaDoc said:

Maybe it's time for both parties to move on rather than throwing more taxpayers money at this.

The problem here is that the way this seems to have been handled by department has prolonged and complicated matters. Then they’ve tried to say that the matter is time barred. This seems to have been thrown out in this preliminary hearing. 

“One particular problem in healthcare is not just the capacity to learn from mistakes, but also that even when mistakes are detected, the learning opportunities do not flow through the system” Matthew Syed

It strikes me that a group of senior doctors in the Isle of Man - over a good few years - have run things for themselves, and have become so immune to management direction that 'anything goes'. Obscene salaries based on job plans and appraisals signed off by each other, unknown quality of care (think bowel surgery, endoscopy, breasts etc) and absent moral compasses have led to many of the problems we have had and still face.

A combination of public sector 'terms and conditions' and a ferociously protective union - the BMA (also run locally by the same group of senior doctors) - have stalled any attempts at improvement.

It is correct to say that we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the Byrne case, but it would be truly appalling to try to disregard the complainant because she was under psychiatric care - even though I am sure that this is exactly what Dr Byrne's defence team will try to do.

All the Michael reforms will do - at great expense - is rearrange the deckchairs.  What is needed is a clear out of the bad and a reboot.

Archived