Roger Watterson RIP

war baby

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Was it Roger? Or was it the guy who ran the country farm and animal park down  at Port Soderick, Oakhill, Lough Ned(?).

I first got to know Roger in a dark place in his life. He’d had a fall out with Maltese IoM Newspaper proprietor HL Dor who had managed to hoodwink the authorities that there was something untoward. Roger stood trial. It was trumped up. Unfortunately he was convicted. Fortunately the Appeal Court overturned his conviction.

Roger dealt with it all with good grace. I never heard him utter a bad word against Dor.

As a guest on his programmes from time to time I can attest to his meticulous preparation and how hard he worked to make it all seem effortless.

If my memory is faulty and it wasn’t RW I retract the comment. I can’t recall the name of the Lough Ned guy. H L Dor was known to many. Enough said.

4 hours ago, gettafa said:

Ah thanks,

I only knew it as 'Isle of Man Courier' from early 70s.

Think it changed name in 1976 when, having merged with the Mona’s Herald, it moved to Douglas. Ridgeway Street. Mona’s Herald ceased 1978 and the Courier became a free paper in 1981.

16 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I was not going to mention the trial. Or a trial. The one I read about was when he was an MHK. I read it also in the archives of the local paper in the Manx museum. Deemster Eason heard the case. There was a lot about an invoice and a motorbike. Michael Moyle prosecuted. I do not recall the Maltese man. The appeal is in the Manx Law Reports Watterson v R. If I recall aright there was some fault with the Deemster's handling the case and what he may or not have said to the jury. The papers reported the trial in great detail. You can see it on microfilm in the museum.

The low flying deemster!

On 11/8/2019 at 11:09 PM, Uhtred said:

If my memory is faulty and it wasn’t RW I retract the comment. I can’t recall the name of the Lough Ned guy. H L Dor was known to many. Enough said.

I’ve had one of those eureka moments whilst thinking about something else entirely. Was the Lough Ned guy with the magister’s fasces CB Hampton?

Probably not. But it just sprang out of nowhere, and I thought I’d better write it down before it returned whence it came.

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve had one of those eureka moments whilst thinking about something else entirely. Was the Lough Ned guy with the magister’s fasces CB Hampton?

Probably not. But it just sprang out of nowhere, and I thought I’d better write it down before it returned whence it came.

You’re dead right that the Lough Ned Guy was C B (Brian) Hampton, and yes he certainly was a Keys candidate. I simply can’t recall if it was Roger W or Hampton who went all fasces, but through the murk of memory I recall that the background colour of the manifesto in question was (I think!) a mauve/purple shade.

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

You’re dead right that the Lough Ned Guy was C B (Brian) Hampton, and yes he certainly was a Keys candidate. I simply can’t recall if it was Roger W or Hampton who went all fasces, but through the murk of memory I recall that the background colour of the manifesto in question was (I think!) a mauve/purple shade.

The fasces is widely used in heraldry as a symbol of good government, law enforcement and justice.  See the seal of the US senate.

058F677D-18B1-47F2-BBD0-3021F1486670.png

Archived