MOT's on the way?

Max Power

3 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Yes components fail and cause accidents.

However, humans make mistakes and cause accidents with far greater frequency.

Are you in favour of regular testing for drivers?

In certain cases then yes. 

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chris C said:

In certain cases? How would you discriminate? I assume, as with vehicle testing, in some way that didn't include yourself?

You assume a great deal, almost all of it totally wrong.  

3 minutes ago, Chris C said:

In the absence of any other informtion I have little choice. I'll as you again, how would you discriminate?

Age, medical conditions, extended periods not driving because of ban or imprisonment, and totting up of parking offences for starters.

1 minute ago, Rog said:

Age, medical conditions, extended periods not driving because of ban or imprisonment, and totting up of parking offences for starters.

Although the vast majority of accidents are caused by drivers who fit into none of these categories. If you really would like to improve road safety then logic would be a better tool than spite.

Just now, Chris C said:

Although the vast majority of accidents are caused by drivers who fit into none of these categories. If you really would like to improve road safety then logic would be a better tool than spite.

Spite?  Now I think you've lost the plot. FWIW I fall into the age category and the medical condition category. I THINK I would pass the retest but many certainly wouldn't.

1 hour ago, Chris C said:

I left school over 30 years ago. Well what other explaination is there? Drivers cause the vast majority of accidents, vehicles a tiny minority - logic dictates if you're going to regularly test one in the name of road safety it should be drivers first, vehicles last.

This is not what's being proposed, so the proposal is motivated by something other than logic. What do you think it is?

As others have hinted, this is not random, there is more to it and that enormous plot of land covered in overpriced cars is part of it. If not I will show my arse in Woolworths

Edit to add that I would not be against a test for drivers every 5 years.

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

As others have hinted, this is not random, there is more to it and that enormous plot of land covered in overpriced cars is part of it. If not I will show my arse in Woolworths

Edit to add that I would not be against a test for drivers every 5 years.

Haha, fair play to you fella

10 hours ago, Chris C said:

Yes I'm well aware of your "reasoning" by now

What is the legal status regarding a vehicle that does not have a valid MOT or equivalent being driven on UK roads?  It's a question that I will raise with the DVLC just out of curiosity.

15 minutes ago, Rog said:

What is the legal status regarding a vehicle that does not have a valid MOT or equivalent being driven on UK roads?  It's a question that I will raise with the DVLC just out of curiosity.

If my memory serves me, this was at least part of the reason for HGV testing being locally introduced. The implications of untested, Manx (registered) lorries being used on UK roads (and further afield) by IoM hauliers had a number of question marks over them.

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If my memory serves me, this was at least part of the reason for HGV testing being locally introduced. The implications of untested, Manx (registered) lorries being used on UK roads (and further afield) by IoM hauliers had a number of question marks over them.

So the same is possibly true for cars and motorbikes?  It'll be interesting what the DVLA say Inthe subject. 

Archived