MOT's on the way?

Max Power

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many reasons for and against an MOT. Unfortunately it's not for those who maintain their cars properly, it's to force those who blatantly don't! It's no use saying that very few accidents are caused by mechanical defects, the fact is that there are some. 

As I have said many times, I recall a young kid killed by a car which had totally worn out steering and suspension on a straight bit of road. He died in agony. Roadside checks didn't keep that car off the road, and they did have them then too. 

Politicians are never going to vote for it unless they are forced to, probably by public opinion spurred on by the fact that drivers may need one to travel of island. Then it will probably be a specific test to show your car is roadworthy when it got on the boat!

18 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There are many reasons for and against an MOT. Unfortunately it's not for those who maintain their cars properly, it's to force those who blatantly don't! It's no use saying that very few accidents are caused by mechanical defects, the fact is that there are some. 

As I have said many times, I recall a young kid killed by a car which had totally worn out steering and suspension on a straight bit of road. He died in agony. Roadside checks didn't keep that car off the road, and they did have them then too. 

Politicians are never going to vote for it unless they are forced to, probably by public opinion spurred on by the fact that drivers may need one to travel of island. Then it will probably be a specific test to show your car is roadworthy when it got on the boat!

So make the roadside checks more of a deterrent. More of them and very stiff penalties for those flagrantly ignoring the condition of their vehicle, including jail. Don't inconvenience the many to deal with the few. If we are to test anything, then test the drivers. That would actually have an effect. 

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

So make the roadside checks more of a deterrent. More of them and very stiff penalties for those flagrantly ignoring the condition of their vehicle, including jail. Don't inconvenience the many to deal with the few. If we are to test anything, then test the drivers. That would actually have an effect. 

Tempting fate here, but I have never been pulled over for a roadside test. I cover average mileage and live in Douglas, travelling past the testers many times. It's just a hit and miss approach and doesn't test the efficiencies and alignment of every critical component. It's not easy on a trolly jack in the cold, damp and dark. Perhaps a test every five years from registration? Taxis can do around 80,000 miles in a year but are only tested annually, they obviously have better longevity of components these days?  

Plus, I'd suggest, in such conditions they're only pulling over vehicles with obvious defects, such as lamps out or the builders pick up they pulled that had the bonnet tied shut with string etc.

Incidentally, commercial vehicles down to 7.5T now have to have compulsory 6 week checks carried out too, and daily driver's checklists that have to be completed and signed, imposed quite recently.

Well I've had an initial response from the DVSA.  I'm now awaiting a detailed and  considered reply sometime in the next ten days.  This might prove to be fun!  

I know that if a vehicle is found to overweight during a customs search it must pass an MOT inspection before it can continue on its journey as it is viewed as having no valid MOT because of its use out of spec and so possibly be compromised in some way. It has to pass a fresh MOT test taken at the closest MOT test station to the port of entry.

(How close is the nearest MOT test centre from where the boat docks over here?)

20 minutes ago, Rog said:

Well I've had an initial response from the DVSA.  I'm now awaiting a detailed and  considered reply sometime in the next ten days.  This might prove to be fun!  

I know that if a vehicle is found to overweight during a customs search it must pass an MOT inspection before it can continue on its journey as it is viewed as having no valid MOT because of its use out of spec and so possibly be compromised in some way. It has to pass a fresh MOT test taken at the closest MOT test station to the port of entry.

(How close is the nearest MOT test centre from where the boat docks over here?)

Probably on the estate next to the road into Lancaster, near ASDA?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Plus, I'd suggest, in such conditions they're only pulling over vehicles with obvious defects, such as lamps out or the builders pick up they pulled that had the bonnet tied shut with string etc.

Incidentally, commercial vehicles down to 7.5T now have to have compulsory 6 week checks carried out too, and daily driver's checklists that have to be completed and signed, imposed quite recently.

Operator Licence legislation was sat on the books for well over a decade without enactment because the operators lobbied hard to prevent it. 

Had there been another Greeba, IOMG would have found an article 2 ruling against them in the Coroners Court. It’s one of the few occasions that they have finally succumbed to expert opinion and common sense.

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Probably on the estate next to the road into Lancaster, near ASDA?

If it turns out that valid MOT inspection results are required for Manx vehicles on our roads, which I sincerely hope will prove to be the case, then that adds further justification to have MOT test stations on the island testing to the same standards and specifications as here on the mainland.

8 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Operator Licence legislation was sat on the books for well over a decade without enactment because the operators lobbied hard to prevent it. 

Had there been another Greeba, IOMG would have found an article 2 ruling against them in the Coroners Court. It’s one of the few occasions that they have finally succumbed to expert opinion and common sense.

I can remember when testing of HGV's was first being mooted and a local haulier discussing on the Mannin Line and saying that if it was implemented then he'd be shutting up shop....

10 minutes ago, Rog said:

If it turns out that valid MOT inspection results are required for Manx vehicles on our roads, which I sincerely hope will prove to be the case, then that adds further justification to have MOT test stations on the island testing to the same standards and specifications as here on the mainland.

Rog, if you think so badly about us Manx, where we live, how we live and what we drive, why bother joining and posting on Manx Forums.?

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:
13 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I can remember when testing of HGV's was first being mooted and a local haulier discussing on the Mannin Line and saying that if it was implemented then he'd be shutting up shop....

The best thing about the introduction of testing, was that the HGV drivers got decent trucks to drive instead of some of the death traps they used to have.

1 hour ago, Rog said:

I predict that you won't hear back for a very long time and if/when you do, it won't be very much fun at all, and neither detailed nor considered. They'll think you're some time wasting nutjob, and you'll get just the usual government bureaucrat fob off. If you think you can change anything like this single-handedly, you are actually deluded.

Archived