MOT's on the way?

Max Power

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

About time really, but even if its discussed I don't think anyone will have the backbone to introduce it.

Agreed - but they should. There are any number of heaps of shit driving around our roads - check out the vans and pick-ups of the average small building firms.

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Agreed - but they should. There are any number of heaps of shit driving around our roads - check out the vans and pick-ups of the average small building firms.

I've recently changed jobs but I previously saw a number of pick-ups/vans leaking diesel, hydraulic oil and engine oil typically with a number of other faults (typical age related rot/rust, most dangerous is probably brake lines that are fit to burst) would be lovely to actually condemn them from the roads. The only time I ever saw these vehicles was when something was actually about to fall off, one came in with a broken leaf spring and 2 wheel studs (not bolts) missing, leaf spring replaced and they wouldn't buy a new hub because they were 'getting rid of the vehicle soon anyway'.

I could list some of the most common faults that could easily change someones life in a split second but apparently this hasn't happened yet so an MOT isn't required, mostly said by the majority who frequently service their cars and don't want the extra inconvenience/cost of an MOT. The MOT isn't there for the majority its there for the minority who take liberties with everything in life.

14 hours ago, Rog said:

No, a very sensible safety improvement.

It's an old chestnut for bored politicians looking for a cause. There is no evidence of vehicle defects causing fatal collisions apart from the tragic incident of the lorry wheel killing the young cyclist some years ago. No evidence whatsoever, and this has been confirmed time and again. The hgv in that incident was of course subject to testing. 

21 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I've recently changed jobs but I previously saw a number of pick-ups/vans leaking diesel, hydraulic oil and engine oil typically with a number of other faults (typical age related rot/rust, most dangerous is probably brake lines that are fit to burst) would be lovely to actually condemn them from the roads. The only time I ever saw these vehicles was when something was actually about to fall off, one came in with a broken leaf spring and 2 wheel studs (not bolts) missing, leaf spring replaced and they wouldn't buy a new hub because they were 'getting rid of the vehicle soon anyway'.

I could list some of the most common faults that could easily change someones life in a split second but apparently this hasn't happened yet so an MOT isn't required, mostly said by the majority who frequently service their cars and don't want the extra inconvenience/cost of an MOT. The MOT isn't there for the majority its there for the minority who take liberties with everything in life.

So perform more spot checks and throw the book at the guilty. Do not inconvenience the majority for a few idiots. Most motorists will not drive around in a death trap. 

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Welcome to Jackson's....?

I would imagine there will be a number of approved garages, I for one would never go to Jacksons but for people who service their cars at Jacksons then they'll already be at serviced to MOT standard, so I would expect they would issue a free MOT certificate.

Archived