Flights to Southend summer ‘20

Uhtred

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seems to be daily over May June. Departs Southend 10.50 and returns from IoM at 12.35. So no red eye.

Fares range from £30 single with no bags to £245 single with bags and flexibility. As there are onward flights to Barcelona and Reus and Sofia its worth exploring as far as I am concerned.

Advantages as I'm still using a wheelchair are small airport so easy to get around compared to Gatwick.

Useful back up to Luton if I was going to see family in Norwich. Its about 10 mins more drive time.

Cheaper than BA to City, but, if I'm going to London, City is easiest

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

seems to be daily over May June. Departs Southend 10.50 and returns from IoM at 12.35. So no red eye.

Fares range from £30 single with no bags to £245 single with bags and flexibility. As there are onward flights to Barcelona and Reus and Sofia its worth exploring as far as I am concerned.

Advantages as I'm still using a wheelchair are small airport so easy to get around compared to Gatwick.

Useful back up to Luton if I was going to see family in Norwich. Its about 10 mins more drive time.

Cheaper than BA to City, but, if I'm going to London, City is easiest

£30 single no bags...Bad news.. That might tempt me to return to the Island now and then... I could meet all my friends on MF....

15 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Great to see BBC Isle of Man on the ball, reporting the demise of the Stansted flights on the same day they announced the introduction of the Southend route ...

image.thumb.png.2c5fc35f23676946cebf62917a4749a6.png

I was really excited that they might have produced more than two stories in a day, but clicking through leads to an article almost exactly four years old.  The BBC is supposed to employ three reporters on the Island (not including Gawne Jnr), what on earth do they do all day?

It's funny that Isle of Man residents whinge about Southen being "not exactly a major destination" - I'm sure residents of Greater London were as suitably underwhelmed when they discovered a direct route to the Isle of Man was being launched...

I suspect most wondered why they would want to fly somewhere  that's a couple of miles off the coast of Hampshire. 

The good Mr Wint on MR has just reeled off a long list of European departures operating out of Southend, including a number of Easyjet-served destinations. And Mr Baker MHK, Minister with responsibility for Ports is also waxing lyrical.

1 hour ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

It's funny that Isle of Man residents whinge about Southen being "not exactly a major destination" - I'm sure residents of Greater London were as suitably underwhelmed when they discovered a direct route to the Isle of Man was being launched...

I suspect most wondered why they would want to fly somewhere  that's a couple of miles off the coast of Hampshire. 

It wasn't a whinge - it was an observation. An accurate one.

35 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So no different to all the routes served by Liverpool, Manchester, Luton, Gatwick etc....

Don't get me wrong it's great they keep trying to offer new routes from here but in 12 months time it won't be there as it won't be viable when you're competing with cheaper competitors in Easyjet and more attractive airports.

Now if only Easyjet started a Manchester route.... 

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

So no different to all the routes served by Liverpool, Manchester, Luton, Gatwick etc....

Don't get me wrong it's great they keep trying to offer new routes from here but in 12 months time it won't be there as it won't be viable when you're competing with cheaper competitors in Easyjet and more attractive airports.

I wonder if they're thinking to take away some business from City, not the high-end business traveller stuff (it's midday flights apart from anything else), but a lot of people seem to prefer that to Gatwick.

Archived