Climate change. discuss/.

Derek Flint

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thus far no mention has been made about the extent that exotic chemicals are being made and released into the biosphere or the extent of polution of the oceans that is taking place both of which significantly affect the ability of the world's natural processes to redress the awful damage that it is being asked to cope with.

Previous climate change events such as global warming resulted in surges in plant growth that captured atmospheric carbon which in turn reduced greenhouse effects resulting in global cooling which caused plant die back and the laying down of what became fossil fuels. That, or contaminants such as atmospheric discharges from natural events such as volcanic scriptions were also absorbed in plant growth both on land and in the oceans that in the case of oil and coal fosil fuels is why some reserves have a higher sulphur content than others.

Today a combination of factors such as the disturbing of the cyclic events that have caused as well as corrected environmental changes is causing a new component in the form of chaos to what had been an established mechanism and the reduction in the amount and extent of this chaos is essential.  This means the reduction of polutants, especially from exotic materials* and imbalance of marine animal and plant life as well as addressing the exponential grown of the human population.

The argument "what can MY little effect do?" is appalling.  Every act by everyone everywhere will help and using the excuse that other countries creat far more damaging polution is just an excuse to do nothing.

*Exotic materials? The most obvious and easiest to understand is Freon gas. This was widely used as an aerosol propellant gas as well as in production of insulating material and since being banned the damage that it was causing in the ozone layer is being healed as the detected concentration of this and other halocarbons are falling.

I agree Rog so many people are missing the point about the damage that we are doing to our environment.  

Every time I hear people dismiss environmental concerns I recall a quote from "The Matrix" and think that perhaps the writer had a point;

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

15 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Disagreeing with the herd would mean the end of your career.

That's not how science works......

A scientist who could prove 10,000 other scientists were wrong would be seen as a genius.  Many of the most famous scientists in history are famous because they saw what very few others could and then went out and proved it.

11 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

That's not how science works......

A scientist who could prove 10,000 other scientists were wrong would be seen as a genius.  Many of the most famous scientists in history are famous because they saw what very few others could and then went out and proved it.

I'd agree with you normally but there already seems to be a rift, which leads me to believe that a lot of this is being driven by political motives to bring about a huge mass change. 

16 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'd agree with you normally but there already seems to be a rift, which leads me to believe that a lot of this is being driven by political motives to bring about a huge mass change. 

With what objective?  Please don't say to increase tax take.

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I have not seen any "rift".  Perhaps a few outliers but I have not heard a credible scientist step forward and say that climate change is an entirely natural process and that human activity has had no impact.  Happy to change my view if you can provide a link.

It also does not take away from the evidence that we are destroying the environment in hundreds of different ways such as destroying the rain forest, polluting the oceans, contaminating water sources through chemicals and leachate.  

The anthropogenic impact is tiny and is only being pushed by 10k scientists (or IS it - didn't a bunch of them write to the UN a couple of weeks ago to say there is NO CLIMATE EMERGENCY?) because their funding and livelihoods depend on giving their governments the ammunition they need to tax and control us more.

The effect of every one of us here giving up cars, knitting wooly underwear, turning the heating off and eating fucking lentils will be zero. The only reason to do it is to virtue signal to people who don't give a shit what the Isle of Man thinks or does.

The 'science' promoted by Al Gore (IIRC all inconvenient predictions of his have proved wildly excessive) is based on the equivalent of someone logging the water level from low tide and extrapolating after 3 hours that it's likely to continue rising forever and we'll all drown. The worst of these eco green enviro Marxist climate activists have succeeded in nothing more than proving how disagreeable they are and needlessly terrifying a whole generation of children with their emotive rhetoric and politicised propaganda.

The whole global warming thing has always felt 'off' to me, and I'm glad that some VERY serious scientists are questioning the accepted hymn sheet. Max is right - there are plenty of examples of scientists and others who have been ostracised or had their funding withdrawn because they've gone off script.

Watch some Tony Heller vids on YouTube - he doesn't hypothesise so much as show the obfuscation, chicanery and selective misrepresentation of data by the alarmists. And before anyone says 'oh, he's funded by BP or Gazprom, he WOULD say that', I don't care as long as he's exposing a monumental intergovermental fraud using THEIR own data.

10 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

The anthropogenic impact is tiny and is only being pushed by 10k scientists (or IS it - didn't a bunch of them write to the UN a couple of weeks ago to say there is NO CLIMATE EMERGENCY?) because their funding and livelihoods depend on giving their governments the ammunition they need to tax and control us more.

The effect of every one of us here giving up cars, knitting wooly underwear, turning the heating off and eating fucking lentils will be zero. The only reason to do it is to virtue signal to people who don't give a shit what the Isle of Man thinks or does.

The 'science' promoted by Al Gore (IIRC all inconvenient predictions of his have proved wildly excessive) is based on the equivalent of someone logging the water level from low tide and extrapolating after 3 hours that it's likely to continue rising forever and we'll all drown. The worst of these eco green enviro Marxist climate activists have succeeded in nothing more than proving how disagreeable they are and needlessly terrifying a whole generation of children with their emotive rhetoric and politicised propaganda.

The whole global warming thing has always felt 'off' to me, and I'm glad that some VERY serious scientists are questioning the accepted hymn sheet. Max is right - there are plenty of examples of scientists and others who have been ostracised or had their funding withdrawn because they've gone off script.

Watch some Tony Heller vids on YouTube - he doesn't hypothesise so much as show the obfuscation, chicanery and selective misrepresentation of data by the alarmists. And before anyone says 'oh, he's funded by BP or Gazprom, he WOULD say that', I don't care as long as he's exposing a monumental intergovermental fraud using THEIR own data.

I do not agree.

20 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Really?  Your source is YouTube videos? 

Did you know that Dinosaur's and Humans lived at the same time?  There are video's about it on YouTube and everything!! 

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

They'll debate it, shelve it and agree to a proposal that it needs another 24 CS on the job to gather more information. Reporting back in a year.

This is the next great PS employment opportunity.

I'd put money on it.

we'll all have to put money on it at a guess, whether we want to or not.

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Really?  Your source is YouTube videos? 

Did you know that Dinosaur's and Humans lived at the same time?  There are video's about it on YouTube and everything!! 

That's a very imperious attitude. YouTube is like any other medium, you choose what to believe. Watch some Tony Heller videos and tell me what facts or deductions you take issue with (apart from his smarmy voice).

Archived