Climate change. discuss/.

Derek Flint

34 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

I believe in gravity too but I didn't personally speak to Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein or any other physicist.

That analogy doesn't work. Gravity is a fact, it's quantitative. It's not something to believe in or not believe in. 

'Climate change' isn't - it's just one interpretation of some very carefully selected data. 

So again, who are the famous '97%'? 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CC snowflakes are getting their panties in a knot again....

This time they are trying to conflate the issue by claiming that so-called bags for life are making the problem of plastic worse. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/28/bags-for-life-making-plastic-problem-worse-say-campaigners

But at the same time they also say that there is less plastic bag litter; 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/05/drop-in-plastic-bags-littering-british-seas-linked-to-introduction-of-5p-charge

It doesn't help their case that they can't even agree among themselves. Plastic bag consumption in the UK is down by over 90% [source] but the campaigners are either too stupid or simple to understand that.

17 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Almost everything we have ever been told by scientists throughout the history of mankind has been subsequently proven to be well-intentioned but incorrect or imprecise.

So you have never taken medication?  And the magical box of lights and wonders you are using to communicate across the globe with, did the church and the power of prayer bring this witch craft into your home?

Some actions could be implemented at zero cost. One very obvious being the introduction of a national speed limit. Another would be rationing of road fuels for private vehicles. Also an import duty on goods available from Manx sources. These three alone would be zero cost to the consumer, and an import tax would benefit home producers.

Climate change - I'm waiting for the pony tailed princess to latch onto the banning of motor sport. I can just see her now, racing yacht ploughing up Douglas beach, whipping out her megaphone and lecturing the crowds in the Grandstand about the damage their sport is doing to the climatet, and they just need to look at the ice melting in the gin and tonics in the hospitality tent to see the effect it has already had etc....

43 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

So you have never taken medication?  And the magical box of lights and wonders you are using to communicate across the globe with, did the church and the power of prayer bring this witch craft into your home?

Indeed I have. Some of it worked, some of it didn't. And the wonderful world-leading folk who told me I would die in the 1980's were imprecise.
As for t'wonders of microcomputers and digital communications and t'interweb etc., I am one of the many, many folk who contributed to the development of those. I know how crap they are, and that others will / have improved upon my feeble contributions. I wouldn't pretend otherwise. We all stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before us by correcting their mistakes and improving upon their imprecisions. The whole basis of science is that what we knew yesterday was limited, and we should accept that will remain true for the scientists of tomorrow.

8 hours ago, flaps said:

Whenever I see a news article or thread about climate change, it's always followed by a load of comments from people who, conveniently for their lifestyle, say it's a load of nonsense. It's a common human trait to deny responsibility, point the finger elsewhere. We don't want to change. The thing is, lets suppose the IPCC issue a new report tomorrow saying "our calculations were wrong, it's not our fault" - what then? Just carry on burning everything we can? Clear the rainforests? Chuck everything in the river? Trash the place? Even if it was to turn out to be a load of bollocks, we still need to be changing our lifestyles anyway, because we're trashing the joint.

With regard to the Isle of Man, clearly any reductions in our emissions will make no difference overall, but that could be said by anyone. It's only by collectively doing our bit the world over will it work. One thing we do need to invest in is our promenades, harbours and riverbanks, as they have been neglected for far too long, and the sea isn't going to get lower.

Renewable power is now cheaper than fossil fuels, but unfortunately our MEA is in such debt we're in the embarrassing position of being a 'Biosphere' without a single wind turbine.

Electric cars are totally viable here, with our shorter journeys, but we need to be using cars less anyway. Car ownership is now making our living environment worse, clogging up our roads with parked vehicles everywhere. People driving very short distances to the school or co-op etc. Basically, like Lord Buckethead said - "you humans need to take a bloody good look at yourselves".

Clown..Nothing more to be said really..

7 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

That analogy doesn't work. Gravity is a fact, it's quantitative. It's not something to believe in or not believe in.

Simplistic. We are still unsure about the precise nature of gravity. It is now thought to be an effect of the interaction of matter with the fabric of space-time rather than existing as a discrete force. Another thing that scientists have changed their orthodoxy on.

7 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

And yet there are flatearthers...

All this proves is that humans hold opinions across the spectrum and that they are difficult to shift. As a positive from this, there is scepticism which frequently debunks previously held "wisdom". As a negative, we still have religion.

9 hours ago, woolley said:

I don't see many people rushing to change their habits or lifestyle. Anyone here about to give up flying or taking holidays?

Done too much business travel to get any pleasure from flying abroad for leisure, so it's not that I've given up, more that I can't be arsed.

Have however, for example:

Replaced all c. 60 lights in the house with LEDs - saving c. 30% on the electricity bill (and largely stopped getting the step-ladder out weekly to change bulbs)
Put in a smart heating control system which regulates each radiator by temp and time to avoid waste (and saved money)
Stopped buying expensive gas guzzler 4x4s and replaced with old but fun cars doing more than twice the MPG (and saved money)
And some other bits (and generally stopped buying much new stuff anyway because I've already bought what I want)

Haven't however:

Covered the roof in Solar
Replaced the heating system with air / ground source
Which I know I _ought_ to do but it would be expensive and disruptive
(or gone to live in a little hut in the woods)

And I think I'm far from alone in making these small adjustments. No virtue signalling, I live a comfortable life. I'm no puritan eco-warrior, but I do think we can and probably should all make more intelligent choices which minimise both our cost and carbon footprints without hardship. Too many people on this planet nowadays, so we have to share it a bit more responsibly. However if we all do this then the only industry left will be green, there will be mass yoof unemployment and global strife if we all stop buying useless stuff. 

Archived