Curry

Lxxx

On 12/17/2019 at 2:20 PM, war baby said:

Try the new Indian Restaurant called Flavours at the bottom of Broadway approximately opposite the Villa Marina gates.  The best in town, I think.

Tried it twice (flavours). Absolutely delicious. Not cheap. But definitely delicious- spicy AND tasty. Licensed too

• 4 weeks later...

Flavours. Started as the Sagaar?, a family from a different restaurant, then several name and 'owner' changes to now, a really pleasant experience. Think the staff took over for a while but now out of the ethnic market?

Have to wonder if there is an Indian 'Mafia' running the Islands Indian Restaurants, they seem to come and go, disappear, the original two from the Taj? Where are they now? The tall guy from Chillies?

Years ago, it was said that there was a single Woman running the Chinese, possibly choosing and financing any new changes/owners? Hard nosed little thing too! From the menus of some of the Chinese t/a you can see the similarities still ? I wonder if 'Mike' made a forture from his fake Rollex?

Anyone remember the  shopping st Chinese fiasco? Burned till rolls and no one to be found??? Still, years later they re-appeared, fit and healthy> Quite rightly!

The good old Days!

You need to realise that all the restaurants on the IOM have a very limited number of trade suppliers on the IOM, even at the best of times.  Now it must be far harder.  I think the Chinese lady you mention, from memory was called Lisa.  I know from conversations with her at her much missed place up near the Majestic, (Jamie and Jill Boncompte's resto at one time before Admiral House) she was the main raw rice importer at sensible prices.  The Asian food trade here mostly uses one or two fish suppliers, one vegetable supplier where they buy any fresh meat.  Consequently, there may be some duplication or similarity in menus.  The man at Flavours Indian, the one time Sagaar place started Curries and Steaks, he told me.  I always check out new restaurants in their first month if possible, that's when they are often best and cheapest.  My Dad told me that!  (He does good home deliveries) btw.

More specifically, yes probably all the Indian families here do know each other and might in some cases be related, as are the Italians, most of the few Spanish and others.  I love the island's diversity.  I wish there were a few more French, Spanish and genuine Mexican restaurants, but we can't have them for a while yet and in such a tiny place we are already lucky.

Before I moved here, my parents had a 'Faulty Towers' sized hotel & restaurant in England.  So I learned a little of the catering trade, like don't ever go into it!  So I did not.  As a result, I am always interested to talk to restaurant owners when I (used) to eat out.  I also tip waiters well as they are generally under appreciated and take the brunt of any moans.  Make sure they get it, not the boss.  Almost universally their main complaints were lack of continuity of supplies (weather related mostly), employment rules resulting in staff difficulties, huge price differentials between here and the UK for reasons they never comprehended... etc.  so customers telling them it was much cheaper in Liverpool or London.  (They knew that).  All in the main presented with a wide smile.

Can you imagine how bad it is now?  No TT, no tourists at all, no birthday parties, no local trade at all except deliveries.  If you want to have any restaurants here after the Great Covid 19 War is over, I suggest support them now.  Order online, they deliver at a distance.  I want to enjoy eating out again.

Stay safe.  Wash your hands now.

• Like 3

I think Robinsons have the suppl;y market pretty much wrapped up now? Frozen Dim Sum! Even the catering butchers 20 chicken breasts, if used, must be pre-cooked as these tend to go 'hard' if not prime cooked? The old days of a bin full of boiled chicken gave a much more tender result! but labour costs!!!

It's a business and if we are nor prepared to wait for quality, we have to accept what we get?

3 hours ago, war baby said:

You need to realise that all the restaurants on the IOM have a very limited number of trade suppliers on the IOM

Can you imagine how bad it is now?  No TT, no tourists at all, no birthday parties, no local trade at all except deliveries.  If you want to have any restaurants here after the Great Covid 19 War is over, I suggest support them now.  Order online, they deliver at a distance.  I want to enjoy eating out again.

Stay safe.  Wash your hands now.

I think that might be the best post I've ever seen on here (I did edit it)

Edited by victorian dad
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

It is awesome and they deserve to do very well.  The menu is amazing and when ordered the food matches the promise.

10 out of 10 from me

I’m booked for lunch on Monday. Was any fucking going on?