Flybe on the brink again

Manxberry

If the latest IOM Passenger statistics are indicative of the rest of FlyBe's business then it's not surprising they're in trouble: 

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/isle-of-man-airport/passenger-figures/

I seriously believe that FlyBe's problems started when they went public and marketed themselves as a low cost airline. Their slogan of "cheaper than the train" (or words to that effect) meant they'd finally made the race to the bottom.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

They're right to run to the EU?  How does that tie in with your general anti-EU sentiment? Can't have it both ways Rog.

I deplore them going whinging to the EU but from a business perspective it makes perfect sense.

As JW alluded to earlier in the thread, it does make you wonder if the new owners actually pumped the promised funding into the new entity. Shirley they knew what the liability for the APD was at the point of purchase? What happened to their due diligence process? Next to fuel supplies and salaries I'm guessing UKG APD would have been one of their top creditors. Quite incredible really.

But as I said earlier, why use your own cash when you can use someone else's?

2 hours ago, snowman said:

As you will see from the summary in post 1 below, airlines had different policies on how to treat amended APD 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=4018074#post4018074

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=349155

Sorry, I must have mis-remembered then, though of course each tax change could be done differently depending on how it is worded.  I also found some evidence of refunds having been given when 12-16 year-olds were made exempt from the tax.  Which means means a APD reduction on domestic flights would be even less help and emphasises how little all this has been thought through.  But then announcing things that look good on tomorrow's front pages and not caring about whether they can possibly work is rather a hallmark of this UK government.

1 hour ago, Rog said:

I deplore them going whinging to the EU but from a business perspective it makes perfect sense.

Well from a business perspective they're trying to put a competitor out of business and so reduce competition and provide the opportunity to charge more to consumers.  I can see why they would want that, but not potential consumers (unless you are a substantial shareholder).

Actually the EU is pretty relaxed about temporary state aid out to help out ailing companies, in large part because it helps maintain competition.  I think there's quite a lot of case law about this, so I can't see any complaints getting very far.  Of course it may give the UK government the excuse to let the company collapse and blame the EU for it.  The British government and its tame media have been blaming the EU for things that were its own responsibility for decades, so there's no reason for them to stop now even though it gets even less plausible.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:21 PM, Andy Onchan said:

If the latest IOM Passenger statistics are indicative of the rest of FlyBe's business then it's not surprising they're in trouble: 

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/isle-of-man-airport/passenger-figures/

I seriously believe that FlyBe's problems started when they went public and marketed themselves as a low cost airline. Their slogan of "cheaper than the train" (or words to that effect) meant they'd finally made the race to the bottom.

Hang on aren't we at 2.5 million a year yet ?  LOL !!!!!

Archived