The Economic Benefits of Cruise Ships.

On The Bus

1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

What's the benefit to the economy of having people come by cruise ship if they're going to be bussed around on a loss-making Government owned bus, to go and pick up shit from a beach with the Beach Wombles? 

I suppose they might spend £2 on a cup of tea and buy a naff key ring from the Welcome Centre on the way home. 

They're going to have to try harder if they want £11m for a new pier!

We discussed this on a previous thread and it's clear that this particular trip is a bit of a one-off, which didn't stop Manx Radio covering it with their usual tail-wagging enthusiasm[1].  There were also other cruise passengers on this ship who went on paid trips, but (as been discussed on more general cruise threads) the whole thing actually highlights what little money cruise passengers will ever bring in under any circumstances.  Given that all of their accommodation and most of their food is already provided and most Manx-related spending will be via the cruise operator who will retain most of it, it's simply not worth making much effort to attract this business.   (It doesn't even bulk-up the passenger figures at the moment).

In addition, we're trying to sell the Island on green credentials while simultaneously spending vast sums on money trying to attract a very un-green form of tourism.  It's complete hypocrisy and demonstrates just how muddled the thinking is and how obviously stupid the government's position is.  As it happens this particular ship and cruise line have environmental credentials better than most - but that just tells us that we don't need any new facilities to attract them.

[1]  Despite all the bragging about the 'uniqueness' of Beach Buddies, it was interesting to hear one of the Norwegian visitors say they did the same sort of beach cleaning in Norway.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  Despite all the bragging about the 'uniqueness' of Beach Buddies, it was interesting to hear one of the Norwegian visitors say they did the same sort of beach cleaning in Norway.

sas lot have been doing it well before beach buddies.......

I'd say tentative at best. A similar scheme in the Herbrides seems heavily subsidised using Scottish/EU money, despite the secondary economic benefits and the supporting data looking more plausible.

Much like planning; I would be more enthusiastic if the forecasts and economic indicators pointed to an era of population growth and broadened economic activity. Build and they will come is a strategy that often doesn't materialise. Right now, I'd be happy with a couple of working flumes. 

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The same ship has just come from Orkney where they did some beach cleaning...

Never mind - good old Bill will still claim it was a unique idea dreamt up by his good self

14 minutes ago, joeyconcrete said:

Right now, I'd be happy with a couple of working flumes. 

You don't want much, do you..? :lol:

20 minutes ago, joeyconcrete said:

I'd say tentative at best. A similar scheme in the Herbrides seems heavily subsidised using Scottish/EU money, despite the secondary economic benefits and the supporting data looking more plausible.

The Beach Wombles receive Government money 

3 hours ago, kevster said:

So there would be no freight competition if the new bit could be used for bulk cargo as b4mbi suggested 

Bulk cargo includes containers, we are then back to the good old days. I know a bit about the freight side of life, so please don’t preach, papa

1 hour ago, yorik said:

The same ship has just come from Orkney where they did some beach cleaning...

Never mind - good old Bill will still claim it was a unique idea dreamt up by his good self

Bill has never claimed to have invented beach cleaning.

He was just the first to actually do something about it and progress it over here. The fact that so many countries applaud it, means he is doing it so well.
Fuck me, why do people want to knock what he does ?

It's not knocking Bill, I think it's remarkable what he's highlighted and nurtured.

But how long will it be until the novelty wears thin on cruise passengers who work out that having paid a small fortune for their cruise, they are being used as free labour to clean up an Island that they otherwise have no connection with?

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's not knocking Bill, I think it's remarkable what he's highlighted and nurtured.

But how long will it be until the novelty wears thin on cruise passengers who work out that having paid a small fortune for their cruise, they are being used as free labour to clean up an Island that they otherwise have no connection with?

Not being funny, but we don’t need them and maybe it is a bit embarrassing to have them coming here to do it.

Bill has hundreds of folk willing to help and take pride in what they achieve.

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Bill has never claimed to have invented beach cleaning.

He was just the first to actually do something about it and progress it over here. The fact that so many countries applaud it, means he is doing it so well.
Fuck me, why do people want to knock what he does ?

No one is knocking what he does.  They're just pointing out the pathetic way that the Manx Government keeps on using it for publicity purposes as a way of demonstrating that they are actually doing something about green issues (think of those embarrassing scenes at the Brighton Party Conference) when in actual fact:

(i) it's not the Government doing it

(ii) it's not the original idea they are claiming 

(iii) it's only a tiny dent in the Island's environmental problems and they're doing nothing about the others or actively making them worse

(iv) no one is really impressed except the journalists they pay to come over

Of course none of this actually matters to them and their idea of dealing with environmental problems goes no further than arranging a photo opportunity.

Archived