The Economic Benefits of Cruise Ships.

On The Bus

What's the benefit to the economy of having people come by cruise ship if they're going to be bussed around on a loss-making Government owned bus, to go and pick up shit from a beach with the Beach Wombles? 

I suppose they might spend £2 on a cup of tea and buy a naff key ring from the Welcome Centre on the way home. 

They're going to have to try harder if they want £11m for a new pier!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The economic benefits are endless. DfE tell us so and have contrived figures to prove it. It will keep the construction industry busy long after the promenade is completed, circa 2050. It must therefore go ahead. Any other benefits or concerns are secondary considerations.

Economic benefits of having a deep water berth which can berth:

- larger passenger ferries in emergency/at peak times
- project cargo vessels (for windfarm/gas field parts)
- bulk cargo vessels larger than Silver River
-  offshore supply ships
- vessels needing temporary layby berth for essential maintenance/crew operational reasons (UK working hours?)

??

23 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

What's the benefit to the economy of having people come by cruise ship if they're going to be bussed around on a loss-making Government owned bus, to go and pick up shit from a beach with the Beach Wombles? 

I suppose they might spend £2 on a cup of tea and buy a naff key ring from the Welcome Centre on the way home. 

They're going to have to try harder if they want £11m for a new pier!

There might be some benefit to the Island, it's tourist attractions, operators and other outlets if the cruise companies didn't rip the arse out of the passengers! I've seen the numbers and they don't stack up.

If we have to spend money on Douglas Harbour then it should done to improve access to the existing infrastructure for ALL vessel types, not just cruise liners. If not, then let's not bother at all.

1 minute ago, b4mbi said:

-  offshore supply ships
- vessels needing temporary layby berth for essential maintenance/crew operational reasons (UK working hours?)

??

Agreed. Let's not just look at passenger liners in isolation.

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

There might be some benefit to the Island, it's tourist attractions, operators and other outlets if the cruise companies didn't rip the arse out of the passengers! I've seen the numbers and they don't stack up.

It's not just an Isle of Man thing. It happens the world over, cruise liners making massive margins on excursions and activities.

Although it might be unique to the Isle of Man that cruise liners make massive margins on attractions that lose massive amounts of taxpayers cash!  

46 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

-  offshore supply ships

??

So you think the same Government purse that bought the SPCo, should pay out millions to allow competition on freight services ??

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So you think the same Government purse that bought the SPCo, should pay out millions to allow competition on freight services ??

SPCo don't have any bulk  cargo ships

1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

I doubt that, didn't the government / MNH stall created for the very purpose of selling keyrings to cruise ships just close because it was losing money, as the cruise ship visitors don't even use the sea terminal. 

47 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Errr no. where do I say that? 

Ro-ro freight traffic (being the biggest money spinner) is effectively controlled by access to the linkspans. No reason to change that access/arrangement.

Not all freight is ro-ro. 

My point is a proper deep water berth is enabling infrastructure to economic growth/expansion/strategic resilience and is not just about cruise.

Archived