Stuck at Home Viewing

Albert Tatlock

Place your suggestions here for us all while we are self-isolating.

Storyville, Maiden: War on the Waves: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000b8nd via @bbciplayer

Worth a watch...Tracy Edwards, first women's team in the Whitbread round the world race.

Incidently, her mother, the first woman to ride the TT.

I watched McMillions over the last couple of weeks, HBO 6 part documentary about a scam to rip off a McDonalds Monopoly promo in the US 20+ years ago and the FBIs efforts to stop it and find the crooks. Most people missed the news cos 9/11 happened and took all the attention. It was alright, enjoyed watching it, interviews with people on all sides. Dunno if it has been broadcast over here or what channel.

I've found plenty of series to watch on Netflix lately, including some very good British stuff: 

Fantasy/Scifi

The Witcher: a hell of a lot better than I expected it to be and I've been a fan for years.
Russian Doll: Short series which is groundhog day like.

Love, Death + Robots: Very short stories - some are fantastic, others are shite. 

Lost in Space: Starts slow and seems quite kiddy at first but it's really nice, and the aesthetic is very good, seemingly based on the "Mass Effect" style. 

Maniac: I can't explain what makes this so insane to watch, but it's set in a slightly different world to our own and is a crazy look into depression, schizophrenia and mental health.

Stranger Things: Nuff said - it's good! 

Comedy/Dark comedy

Derry Girls: This is a wonderful show about schoolgirls in Derry in the 90s. It's dead on and quite heartfelt at times. 

Afterlife: Ricky Gervais in a fantastic role as a man who has lost his wife. 

Uncle: This surprised me - was not a fan of Nick Helm until this. 

Action

6Underground: Ryan Reynolds, big booms, action 

Any of the Mission Impossible films

Do not watch:

Another Life: It's got Starbuck in, which is what lured me in. It's also utter utter crap.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, quilp said:

Just starting to watch the 1st episode, series 2 of 'Tin Star.' The 1st series was a slow start but it picked up OK. Strangely engrossing. 

I quite enjoyed Tin Star, it is oddly gripping while also being pretty flawed. Tim Roth is always worth a watch.

Season 3 of Ozark is mighty fine so far, 5 episodes in.

Yeah, glued to it. Tim Roth plays the off-the-wall cop convincingly. Some dark humour in it too.

Another recommendation would be the period drama, 'Babylon Berlin,' with the anti-nazi, smack-addicted detective during and after WW2. Some great music in it too (much like 'Rosaline' in the 'Songs' thread). Worth a watch.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:09 PM, TheTeapot said:

I quite enjoyed Tin Star, it is oddly gripping while also being pretty flawed. Tim Roth is always worth a watch.

Season 3 of Ozark is mighty fine so far, 5 episodes in.

Yep, enjoyed Tin Star. Series three will be set in Liverpool as the family return to face their past lives. Should be good.

On your recommendation I'll start on Ozark. Hummed and harred about giving it a watch up to now.

Third series of Fauda starting soon also. This is definitely worth a watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Unorthodox on Netflix.

Absolutely brilliantly acted portrayal of a young girl escaping a stifling marriage in an ultra-orthodox jewish community in Brooklyn.

Just beautifully crafted drama.

Archived