Manx Lamb

On The Bus

IOM Meats are trying to push their expensive local produce again. I'm sure Manx lamb is as good as Welsh and New Zealand lamb, but it's double the price! Why?!

We pay farmers some of the highest subsidies in Europe, if not the world. So why is the end produce so expensive? 

It's double the price of Welsh and New Zealand lamb! 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=55016&headline=Don't be fobbed off: insist on Manx lamb&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

IOM Meats are trying to push their expensive local produce again. I'm sure Manx lamb is as good as Welsh and New Zealand lamb, but it's double the price! Why?!

We pay farmers some of the highest subsidies in Europe, if not the world. So why is the end produce so expensive? 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=55016&headline=Don't be fobbed off: insist on Manx lamb&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

Co-op in Ramsey was selling it half price today. Later they claimed to have sold two weeks supply in 6 hours. 

Assuming they weren’t selling as a loss leader it makes you wonder what the profit is, and where it goes.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No one knows what goes on at that meat plant but it's been an absolute mess for years. 

Is this not Tim Bakers MHK responsibility, he has a masters degree in economics.

I can't believe with his guidance the place should be the most cost effective meat plant in europe.

Look at the highways and airport you can see his influence has improved these no end.

3 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Is this not Tim Bakers MHK responsibility, he has a masters degree in economics.

I can't believe with his guidance the place should be the most cost effective meat plant in europe.

Look at the highways and airport you can see his influence has improved these no end.

If I wanted something to run efficiently and be cost effective I definitely wouldn't want a guy with a Masters in Economics overseeing it.

1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

Same Manx lamb can be bought in Liverpool and London for a fraction of what we pay here. They want us to buy Manx produce then reduce the price. It's hardly rocket science

26 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Same Manx lamb can be bought in Liverpool and London for a fraction of what we pay here. They want us to buy Manx produce then reduce the price. It's hardly rocket science

Get on the boat then and go and and buy some. Local Manx lamb is the best you can ever buy. Do you really want subsidised frozen, then defrosted NewZealand sheep ?  Do you want to prop up the economy of a distant country, or keep our own farmers in work. ?

Now, more than ever we need to forget the false price of cheep food and buy as much as possible le locally

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Get on the boat then and go and and buy some. Local Manx lamb is the best you can ever buy. Do you really want subsidised frozen, then defrosted NewZealand sheep ?  Do you want to prop up the economy of a distant country, or keep our own farmers in work. ?

Now, more than ever we need to forget the false price of cheep food and buy as much as possible le locally

I just want reasonable food at a reasonable price. 

15 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep.

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Did you take a course on talking shite...

It’s worth following Anna Kerruish on Twitter. She shows the work that goes in to farming sheep really well. Also commented that the price of Lamb has tanked recently - so it should be cheaper. 

I don’t mind paying a little more for local beef, lamb or pork. It should be totally practical to be self sufficient in high quality meat. Sorting the abattoir out should be a priority.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s worth following Anna Kerruish on Twitter. She shows the work that goes in to farming sheep really well. Also commented that the price of Lamb has tanked recently - so it should be cheaper. 

I don’t mind paying a little more for local beef, lamb or pork. It should be totally practical to be self sufficient in high quality meat. Sorting the abattoir out should be a priority.

Nothing is worth following anyone in the twitterverse 

Archived