IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

48 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I think it’s fair to assume now that it’s all lip service from the UK Government.

If you are a Covid mentalist and want to really scare yourself, pick some random popular tourist spots & check out the webcams.

The UK have given up on SD, some would argue they never even tried.

They seem to have it much more under control now, in common with other countries. The areas that are being locked down have rising rates, but nothing approaching the earlier peaks. I wouldn't say they have given up on SD. You can put out instructions but if large numbers ignore it you can hardly jail everyone.

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Aye.... but it omitted one important question in the economics section... are you employed in the public sector or private sector? 

Well that should have been the first question naturally as the ones who seem to be shouting loudest about keeping everything locked down are the ones who have the least to lose. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

the ones who seem to be shouting loudest about keeping everything locked down are the ones who have the least to lose

No actual evidence for this though, is there. None at all.

I suppose it may depend what sort of business you are in - but most local businesses seem pleased that they are able to operate relatively normally thanks to the IOM not having to be tightly locked down, like most jurisdictions.

Offices are able to operate as normal. The shops and restaurants are open. The online and gaming sector is back at work.

Granted it's not so great for travel agents of people running the modern equivalent of boarding houses. But apart from that we're doing pretty well. And most business travel is non essential these days anyhow.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pongo said:

No actual evidence for this though, is there. None at all.

I suppose it may depend what sort of business you are in - but most local businesses seem pleased that they are able to operate relatively normally thanks to the IOM not having to be tightly locked down, like most jurisdictions.

Offices are able to operate as normal. The shops and restaurants are open. The online and gaming sector is back at work.

Granted it's not so great for travel agents of people running the modern equivalent of boarding houses. But apart from that we're doing pretty well. And most business travel is non essential these days anyhow.

Thing is, Pongo, they are back to work and those who received MERA at £200 a week are still receiving it at £100 a week, plus their earnings. 

So, again, who are these people with no money? From an internal spending point of view, the Iom has never had it so good. 

6 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Thing is, Pongo, they are back to work and those who received MERA at £200 a week are still receiving it at £100 a week, plus their earnings. 

So, again, who are these people with no money? From an internal spending point of view, the Iom has never had it so good. 

More thoroughly delusional nonsense. Are you actually paid to pump this rubbish out? So many people have lost a huge chunk of savings or got into significant debt just trying to stay afloat in the last 4-5 months. I spoke to one bloke early in the week who has just about lost everything and having to sell his house. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

6 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I spoke to one bloke early in the week who has just about lost everything and having to sell his house. 

Well that's very sad. What business is he in? Broadly speaking.

I doubt it's a business which is a major part of the IOM economy. It would be great to see a survey of businesses - but my impression is that most people in business broadly support the IOM approach.

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

Well that's very sad. What business is he in? Broadly speaking.

I doubt it's a business which is a major part of the IOM economy. It would be great to see a survey of businesses - but my impression is that most people in business broadly support the IOM approach.

Hospitality loosely.

You’re making stuff up again on the second point. Have you read the Chamber of Commerce feedback? Many, many businesses still struggling. 

11 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Hospitality loosely.

If it's holiday accommodation - that represents 0.3% of IOM national income according to https://www.gov.im/media/1359185/national-income-2015-16-report-final.pdf

Hospitality in general is open again. The restaurants are busy. It could be a lot worse.

Some businesses are struggling sure. But there is no evidence that most do not support the IOM approach. Everyone wishes this would go away.

Throw open the borders and we will quickly be back to lockdown - which would be worse for the economy.

Edited by pongo
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, pongo said:

Throw open the borders and we will quickly be back to lockdown - which would be worse for the economy.

Your like a broken record and it wasn’t holiday accommodation either. I’ve not mentioned the borders either so don’t know where that’s come from. I mentioned above the fact that many people are still suffering financially which is a fact. I’m sure it’s all great inside your head. Sadly I know a lot of real people who don’t work for government who aren’t all tugging each other off about how great it’s all been. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/businesses-may-only-be-starting-to-feel-pandemic-effects-now/

Edited by thesultanofsheight

6 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Your like a broken record and it wasn’t holiday accommodation either. I’ve not mentioned the borders either so don’t know where that’s come from. I mentioned above the fact that many people are still suffering financially which is a fact. I’m sure it’s all great inside your head. Sadly I know a lot of real people who don’t work for government who aren’t all tugging each other off about how great it’s all been. 

You are obsessed with this idea that everyone works for government. I don't.

Nobody in this room is "tugging each other off" either. As you so delightfully put it. No idea why you always have to be so foul mouthed Mr Angry.

None of it is ideal. But the IOM approach has been pretty good and there is no evidence to suggest that most people and businesses do not broadly support it.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

More thoroughly delusional nonsense. Are you actually paid to pump this rubbish out? So many people have lost a huge chunk of savings or got into significant debt just trying to stay afloat in the last 4-5 months. I spoke to one bloke early in the week who has just about lost everything and having to sell his house. 

It is the fecking truth! Beautician today told me. I was gobsmacked! Why the hell should she get that? I hope it is taxed! 

14 minutes ago, pongo said:

None of it is ideal. But the IOM approach has been pretty good and there is no evidence to suggest that most people and businesses do not broadly support it.

Mr Cyclical tries again.  Neither foul mouthed or angry either. Those seem to be your consistent default claims when you don't like being challenged as you can’t actually back up what you have said.