IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Perhaps he's just doing part of what the electorate put MHKs in office to do; ask questions and attempt to keep Government accountable.

Of course, the fact that he's suddenly able to do this again has nothing at all to do with not being in COMIN and/or not receiving the Chief Minister's shilling.

Nothing at all. Naturally.

Good post.

Thomas has shown that same as just about every other politician or candidate that ever stood, he is buyable. And will happily get into the CoMin bed. £10k pa for your soul seems a bit cheap to me, but I suppose there is the ego to consider.

But aye, he's back with the plebs now, I hope he can now do some good work on the backbenches.

Edited by gettafa
erm, typo
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Good post.

Thomas has shown that same as just about every other politician or candidate that ever stood, he is buyable. And will happily get into the CoMin bed. £10k pa for your sole seems a bit cheap to me, but I suppose there is the ego to consider.

But aye, he's back with the plebs now, I hope he can now do some good work on the backbenches.

I'm not sure that it's the intention or willingness to be "buyable". It's the system that creates the unavoidable situation.

I believe that the vast majority of people who stand for public office do so on the grounds of good intention and wanting to make a difference. That they then have to give up those aims and be kept schtum simply because they've appointed or earned a Governmental position during the course of electoral terms creates a very difficult position for them.

In many instances, questions need to be asked (and Lord knows, we've got enough subjects). It's part of our democratic process. That, that democracy is being stifled, in the absence of proper political opposition, needs to be addressed. And in the mean time, those to whom questions might bring accountability carry on regardless and without scrutiny or sanction. There must be 100 examples of it in recent years. Subjects suddenly disappearing after those who were raising them were absorbed into Government. Chris Robertshaw's demolition report on IRIS for instance.

It's wrong.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me add my comment of the last decade or so - the ministerial system was deliberately arranged to allow corruption - maybe not so much in terms of explicit bunches of used fivers but in terms of increased salaries way beyond those many could aspire to with their ability or education, 'prestige' and/or 'gongs' for those that crave such things (eg fancy robes for use at Tynwald) - the price of all these being not to ask any awkward questions or to damage the CS gravy train in any way.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Over 600 people a week (not all residents as claimed either) coming here under a voluntary self isolation system which is largely unpoliced. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/one-charged-four-arrested-for-isolation-breaches-as-2500-return/

Why do you still mistakenly think that the borders are closed and that’s what’s actually protecting you? The people you quote above are generally suggesting that a real system involving testing and tracking rather than an illusionary system of self compliance with cursory back-up checks being performed is introduced. The link above shows how that system is being abused too and those are only the known cases where people haven’t complied and I bet in almost every case they were shopped by neighbours and friends not actually discovered breaking the rules by the police. The upside of testing and tracking would be shorter quarantine periods as well. It’s the only logical way forward if government stopped listening to the ‘build a wall’ covid crackpots.

i doubt you have homes elsewhere either TJ. 

It is not voluntary. It is compulsory. One can be fined or imprisoned for breaking it. One has to sign a legal document agreeing to isolate. It is policed, but probably not well enough. The vast majority comply. The rest are idiots.

18 hours ago, Banker said:

They don’t seem worried in Jersey as they were expecting cases but the very low number is probably welcome.

i doubt Jersey would panic like NZ and lock down for a few cases

But the New Zealand outbreak started with just one case and now there's 69 (at least) infected, with six in hospital[1].  You can't just shrug your shoulders, say there's not very many of them and hope the epidemic will go away if you ignore it.  Low numbers don't stay that way for long.

One of the problems that New Zealand had (and we have) is that of success.  People aren't taking the precautions with masks, distancing and so on that are still being carried out in countries with active infections - because we don't need to - and events that might act as super-spreaders are taking place.  So if the virus gets back into the population it may infect a lot of people very quickly - just as it did in March.  And if testing is concentrated on arrivals and those with mild cases think it is probably something else, then the virus will spread in the population for quite a few days.  This may be the situation that's happening in Jersey - hopefully not and any spreading will be stopped.

[1]  There's also a case which appears to have been separately infected while working at a quarantine facility.  Plus another 20 infected arrivals, who rightly are counted separately.  One of the good things about the way New Zealand deals with Covid-19 has been the detail and specificity in their press releases, which in turn helps the public take the correct actions.

• Like 1

Latest statistics from Jersey, test & more tests is way to go, only 13 active cases from 62000 tests to date.

Negative tests

Confirmed cases

Pending results

Known active cases

Recovered cases

Registered deaths

Probable deaths

Proven deaths

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

Good post.

Thomas has shown that same as just about every other politician or candidate that ever stood, he is buyable. And will happily get into the CoMin bed. £10k pa for your sole seems a bit cheap to me, but I suppose there is the ego to consider.

Once a man has sold his 'sole' if he does it again he will walk barefoot. (sorry)

I knew CT in a different life and had confidence and trust in him. Not any more I'm afraid - the CM knew what he was doing when making him a 'close' Minister where he could keep an eye on him I suppose. Asking questions from the back benches is nothing compared to answering and challenging from the front, but I hope he does well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Banker said:

Latest statistics from Jersey, test & more tests is way to go, only 13 active cases from 62000 tests to date.

Negative tests

Confirmed cases

Pending results

Known active cases

Recovered cases

Registered deaths

Probable deaths

Proven deaths

But the second wave though, it's coming soon.

The hospitals will be overflowing, the stench of death on the streets of St. Helier - run for your lives!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

But the second wave though, it's coming soon.

The hospitals will be overflowing, the stench of death on the streets of St. Helier - run for your lives!

Ironically the figures you posted showed an additional confirmed death since the last time. a week ago, you did so.  (I'm not sure why and I can't find a related new item - it may just be a reclassification of a previous death following tests).

14 minutes ago, Frances said:

the NZ case is most interesting as it is possibly another case of infected packaging on refrigerated food imports - there is thought by the Chinese to be a similar case due to infected Brazilian seafood imports

What a lot of bollox, was this theory started by David icke similar time to the 5g one!!

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Ironically the figures you posted showed an additional confirmed death since the last time. a week ago, you did so.  (I'm not sure why and I can't find a related new item - it may just be a reclassification of a previous death following tests).

It was an 86 year old who had recovered and died from other illness but they counted it as a factor!!

sorry my machine has hiccuped in trying to reply to Banker but we shall see re the infected packaging - NZ are still checking it - recall that judging from the large number of infected food processing plants the virus seems to find cold + probably damp conditions good for survival - the team that finally proved that aerosol transmission of viable corvid19 virus was possible used a cold damp protein rich solution as the 'trap' on which to catch + hold the virus 

Edited by Frances

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Once a man has sold his 'sole' if he does it again he will walk barefoot. (sorry)

I knew CT in a different life and had confidence and trust in him. Not any more I'm afraid - the CM knew what he was doing when making him a 'close' Minister where he could keep an eye on him I suppose. Asking questions from the back benches is nothing compared to answering and challenging from the front, but I hope he does well. 

Sorry for the 'sole' thing (now corrected) I must have been thinking of HM.

CT has a lot of making up to do. (Robertshaw has shot his bolt and no going back and he knows it, he has the rest of his life to ponder on what he did.)