IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

The real life data from UK and Jersey gives me much more confidence than you obviously have.

6 weeks there will be no significant hospitalisation or deaths and the island will be over it.

Is that the UK where hospitalisations are rising at 740 a day and deaths are starting to rise albeit at a (thankfully) slower rate?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, finlo said:

Thought the pub's were open till midnight at the weekend😄

Some Douglas pubs open to 3:30am (Jaks, 1886) . It provides a steady flow of drunk loudmouths making their way home throughout the town to well past 4am.

That's Douglas for you.

2 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Is that the UK where hospitalisations are rising at 740 a day and deaths are starting to rise albeit at a (thankfully) slower rate?

It is estimated that 1 in 95 people in the UK would presently test positive for COVID if tested.

People are admitted to hospital up and down the country every single day and for hundreds of different reasons.

It is no surprise or concern that more people with COVID, equals more people who might end up in hospital with it.  I am aware that a COVID patient with a broken leg takes more resources than the same broken leg without a positive test, so there is some expected knock on there due to infection control.

I have a couple of family members isolating at the moment.  One was using the time to scale a ladder and paint the facias on his house yesterday.

Guess what happens I he falls off? In hospital with COVID, and a lifetime being called Rod.

UK and IOM politicians have finally started making this very clear to people so that now we have started to get people away from the obsession with cases, we can try and do the same with “cases” in hospital.

HQ even admitted for the first time that I had heard on Thursday that our death figures were over egged because some of those people would have died anyway and just happened to return a positive, but inconsequential COVID test.

Edited by Ramseyboi

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Nothing to do with the Isle of Man, but I’m willing to bet that 50%of the UK government will be in isolation by the end of the week and a U turn about Freedom Day.  Seven hundred admissions to hospital each day and they haven't even opened up yet.

Still, I'm sure it will all work out. Survival of the fittest and all that.

I'm just wondering from those of you who often quote that we just have to get on with it and it's the survival of the fittest - what if it was babies that started dying - or two-year-olds - or four-year-olds?  Would that still be OK given that they would obviously not be in the category of the 'fittest'.

Then people would need to reconsider the approach going forward as that would be a completely new scenario to the one that is playing out around the world and be cause for concern.

Kids aren’t ending up dead.  People without co factors aren’t ending up dead and that was pre vaccine.

Now, not even the frail and vulnerable are dying because of COVID in any numbers to be of concern.

Death is bad, but it happens.  To thousands of people every day and for all sorts of different reasons.

If COVID starts killing healthy and young people in numbers greater than hundreds of other things do every day then I will reconsider my view.

Don’t forget most sane peoples views are already very different to what they were last year.  I am not a COVID denier, but I can see the massive reduction in risk bought about by our current position to a point that it doesn’t bother me now.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Nothing to do with the Isle of Man, but I’m willing to bet that 50%of the UK government will be in isolation by the end of the week and a U turn about Freedom Day.  Seven hundred admissions to hospital each day and they haven't even opened up yet.

Still, I'm sure it will all work out. Survival of the fittest and all that.

I'm just wondering from those of you who often quote that we just have to get on with it and it's the survival of the fittest - what if it was babies that started dying - or two-year-olds - or four-year-olds?  Would that still be OK given that they would obviously not be in the category of the 'fittest'.

Their ‘freedom’ day is only England. Scotland and Wales have still kept their own restrictions, but even England who has the least restrictions will still keep the restrictions that we have already removed, I found this little snippet from an article earlier :

While many coronavirus restrictions will lift in England tomorrow (19 July), the rules on self-isolating for contacts of people who test positive are not eased until 16 August - when those who are double-jabbed will be able to take tests rather than quarantine at home.

It’s history repeating itself all over again, by 16th August they’ll have to many people in self isolation grinding the country to a halt exactly the same as we did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things need putting in perspective.

A healthy teenager on the Iom at the moment.

Which puts him at greater risk of ending up in hospital in the next 6 months?

A - Continuing to attend school as normal, visit mates and go to clubs as normal and risk COVID.

B - stop seeing mates and going to school and spend more time out on a mountain bike, doing jobs in the garden for parents and going to the gym.

The answer is B by quite a margin.

In the short term, the problem the UK will be facing is that of hospital capacity, and the knock-on effects.

The backlog is building, and with operations being cancelled again, hospitals going into emergency mode, and people continuing to develop other conditions, that'll only keep getting worse. Add constant COVID admissions that you have to implement and manage infection control measures for, the NHS is getting pulled harder in every direction.

From an Emergency Medicine and Major Trauma consultant at a Sheffield hospital...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/ambulance-delays-handover-nhs-safety-b1880443.html

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Things need putting in perspective.

A healthy teenager on the Iom at the moment.

Which puts him at greater risk of ending up in hospital in the next 6 months?

A - Continuing to attend school as normal, visit mates and go to clubs as normal and risk COVID.

B - stop seeing mates and going to school and spend more time out on a mountain bike, doing jobs in the garden for parents and going to the gym.

The answer is B by quite a margin.

That isn’t a straight forward question to answer, you may be right, you may be wrong. So say short term you’re right, but long term these otherwise would be healthy teenagers struggle with long covid, what happens then? Well the truthful answer is you don’t know and that’s because nobody knows because there isn’t enough research out there yet.

What’s happening here is the IOM government has decided to take a massive gamble, seemingly an uneducated gamble because we were the first country (certainly in Europe) to make these changes and relax covid restrictions.

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

That isn’t a straight forward question to answer, you may be right, you may be wrong. So say short term you’re right, but long term these otherwise would be healthy teenagers struggle with long covid, what happens then? Well the truthful answer is you don’t know and that’s because nobody knows because there isn’t enough research out there yet.

What’s happening here is the IOM government has decided to take a massive gamble, seemingly an uneducated gamble because we were the first country (certainly in Europe) to make these changes and relax covid restrictions.

Which restrictions are we the first to lift please?