IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Not referring to you fella, just the continuum of confusion and double-standards around covid advice. 

The only advice that really matters right now, in my humble opinion, is the advice you're already following of take up that offer of a booster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Didn't the WHO want all the vaccines to be given away to the third world by now? Now they are moaning that people aren't getting vaccinated/boosters? 

They wanted all the affluent countries that had pledged to donate vaccines to less developed countries to actually do so and not bin any surplus or send it out to late to be useful. 

The worries about Europe are probably more about eastern Europe where vaccination levels are much lower:

image.png.a9d7a6f865957e86160bde2060b60adb.png

There's quite a strong West to East thing, though Germany (and Austria and Switzerland) have lower rates that Spain etc.  But even those countries with high vaccination rates will find their health resources stretched - of the 11 cases in Nobles in the last report, 9 were fully vaccinated.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link

1 hour ago, momo65 said:

From what we are seeing from Covid research and assuming it's not in a class of its own for severity I suspect we may see we have serious trouble because we are reinfected repeatedly. We know several viruses cause malignancies. Possibly many more do that we haven't yet worked out. Your assumption that the immune system will in time save us may turn out to be correct or horribly wrong as immunodysfunction is increasingly becoming more prominent among disease origins along with genetic susceptibility 

And yet after 500,000 years (and probably more) the human body has learnt to adapt to these threats and for the vast majority of that time without any intervention. Nature has taken it's course.

30 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Until all countries have identical testing criteria or are all testing every person every day, that chart is completely pointless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember when our news was full of how terrible things were in India and how the new variant was going to kill us all?

Have a look below and tell me how relevant those figures are?  Completely pointless as totally meaningless without consistent testing and some adjustment for vaccination and previous infection rates.  I suppose they can be manipulated to predict more doom though.

Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 13.27.44.png

43 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Remember when our news was full of how terrible things were in India and how the new variant was going to kill us all?

Have a look below and tell me how relevant those figures are?  Completely pointless as totally meaningless without consistent testing and some adjustment for vaccination and previous infection rates.  I suppose they can be manipulated to predict more doom though.

Dear me.

Who doesn't understand the GIGO principle...?

Also who could possibly think that a comparison between the UK and India was actually worth doing? Nobody I know....

However comparisons between the UK and France, Italy, Germany etc are very pertinent if you want to know how well you are performing as an Entity. Unfortunately the results seem to be consistent with the UK track record.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Dear me.

Also who could possibly think that a comparison between the UK and India was actually worth doing? Nobody I know....

However comparisons between the UK and France, Italy, Germany etc are very pertinent if you want to know how well you are performing as an Entity. Unfortunately the results seem to be consistent with the UK track record.

Are you saying that the figures from India, a country so densely populated that people are almost living on top of each other, with no discernible health service of sort, should be dismissed?

They should all be dead should they not?

They aren’t.

It’s all complete horse shit & has been from day one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Are you saying that the theory and current accepted policy of allowing regular re-infection with what we perceive as common cold viruses to provide immunity from more severe outcomes in later life is the wrong one? Is there a practical alternative?

I'm saying that it's not impossible that our current strategy with those proves to be the wrong one. Again currently there is no practical alternative. Imagine however that colds cumulatively were show to have major consequences a strategy would follow

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

And yet after 500,000 years (and probably more) the human body has learnt to adapt to these threats and for the vast majority of that time without any intervention. Nature has taken it's course.

As you say we believe that over a long period that's been the case. However some of the basic research stuff being done in virology may show that those acute symptoms cause problems we don't know about. There are a huge range of diseases that we don't understand the causes of. 

56 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Dear me.

Ok.  So in reference to the chart you posted “positive cases per million people”. To make that valid you would need to offset it against something from the same website and data source to show how many people each country was testing to reach that number of cases.  The more you test, the more you find which I assume is the point you were making about India not being a valid comparison 

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-tests-per-thousand-people-smoothed-7-day?tab=chart&country=FRA~DEU~ITA~GBR

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 13.27.44.png

The reason things were very grim in India is quite likely to be explained by the recent discovery of a gene whose presence greatly increases the liklihood of severe disease & death. It's found in about 70% of their population but only 15% of ours.