Isle of Man Bank

Sentience

3 hours ago, Declan said:

My bank lets me deposit cheques via the mobile ap.

From other banks?

---

Fact is that cheques can be stuck in an envelope with a paying-in slip and posted through the letter box. Though it's annoying that people still use them. Cash should be phased out.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, pongo said:

From other banks?

---

Fact is that cheques can be stuck in an envelope with a paying-in slip and posted through the letter box. Though it's annoying that people still use them. Cash should be phased out.

Cash is King!

21 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Is that actually happening though?  Two months for a cheque book?  You tend to make a lot of stuff up so you can rant about it which is why I (and others) often think you're making it up.

I don’t make anything up neither to I rant about anything. Yes an elderly person has been left without the means of paying for essentials for about 8 weeks now and I don't think it’s acceptable for people in vulnerable groups.

4 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Nothing wrong with an opposing view.  Especially when it is right.

I'm concious the pace of change for old people is intimidating at times but it is reality.

The IOM Bank's opening hours are not a matter for Tynwald.  

In your case you could just post the cheque in and keep the cash.  Alter your tax return next year to electronic payment.

It's not the pace of change that bothers me, I'm 74, it's the difficulty of having a meaningful interchange or indeed any communication with banks. To put it in context, I am having a conflict with M and S bank, all I wanted to do is cancel my credit card. I have been given two different dates when it was supposed to be cancelled and still don't have a definitive answer after over two months!

I have used e mail, letter and telephone and accidently found out that their parent bank is now not taking receipt of letters or,'white communications', as they call it.

Is there any wonder that folk want to retain face to face interaction?

4 hours ago, Declan said:

My bank lets me deposit cheques via the mobile ap.

I'd say habits have continued to change since the Prospect Terrace Branch closed - you want proof? There's only three of you queuing outside at 9:30 on a Monday morning despite that branch covering what used to be covered by Laxey, Onchan, Marina, Prospect Terrace and Regent Street branches.

The lock down will have added to that gradual lessening of custom. The Butcher in Port Erin has gone to contactless for example, so no need for him to visit to drop off the cash takings.

Although I agree it is difficult for the old folk. Because the Port Erin branch is shut, me Mum turns up at mine everytime her card doesn't work in the butchers.

I was 3rd in a line which stretched round the corner God knew how far by the time they opened at 10am!!

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

There's no excuse not getting paid any kind of income directly to the bank really.

yes, lets all be forced to unnecessarily use the services of a bank and pay fees for the privilege of using our own money, fuck off.

1 minute ago, WTF said:

yes, lets all be forced to unnecessarily use the services of a bank and pay fees for the privilege of using our own money, fuck off.

For most people banking is free. And there are alternatives now to traditional banks.

But let's be clear: Unless that's your face on the money, it's not yours. Matthew 22:21.

Archived