Isle of Man Bank

Sentience

So, now that most restrictions have been lifted on ALL (non essential) retailers reopening their doors to the general public, why is Isle of Man Bank STILL only open 10am til 2pm at the most unfriendly, in terms of parking facilities site....on the corner of Athol Street!?!?

Who in their right mind even conceived this as a 'good idea' in the very beginning of this 'lockdown, when obviously, in terms of location, Regent Street should have been the obvious choice.

I arrived on this Athol Street corner at 9:25 to deposit a tax return cheque and a small amount of cash to find 3 people ahead of me. In first place, a gentleman who had been there since 9am, possibly assuming the IOM Bank, the only branch open, would at least have reasonable opening times and hours for those many more customers now back at work.

But, No.....why???

In the fairly recent past, Isle of Man Bank downsized by closing branches in an effort to save costs and provide their shareholders with even fatter profits, as if those profits weren't already fat enough, all this at the expense of their loyal, long time, usually elderly customers. 

Take Laxey as a prime example for the businesses and those living and working there, they closed the branch. Oh well there's always Onchan...not for long, they then closed that branch. Oh well, I suppose there's always Prospect Terrace.....not for long, yup, they closed that too, professing that, hey most people now bank on-line.

Where was there ANY proof of THAT claim?!

And through all of this IOMG sat back watching, but, saying nothing, like the Manx Gas situation for many years....S.N.A.F.U.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ON TWITTER!!! 

Not a question in Tynwald?? (not that that seems to achieve much) but Twitter, fat lot of good that will do.

As an MHK he should be using the power invested in him by us ludites to use the right channels and processes available to him.

39 minutes ago, Sentience said:

So, now that most restrictions have been lifted on ALL (non essential) retailers reopening their doors to the general public, why is Isle of Man Bank STILL only open 10am til 2pm at the most unfriendly, in terms of parking facilities site....on the corner of Athol Street!?!?

Who in their right mind even conceived this as a 'good idea' in the very beginning of this 'lockdown, when obviously, in terms of location, Regent Street should have been the obvious choice.

I arrived on this Athol Street corner at 9:25 to deposit a tax return cheque and a small amount of cash to find 3 people ahead of me. In first place, a gentleman who had been there since 9am, possibly assuming the IOM Bank, the only branch open, would at least have reasonable opening times and hours for those many more customers now back at work.

But, No.....why???

In the fairly recent past, Isle of Man Bank downsized by closing branches in an effort to save costs and provide their shareholders with even fatter profits, as if those profits weren't already fat enough, all this at the expense of their loyal, long time, usually elderly customers. 

Take Laxey as a prime example for the businesses and those living and working there, they closed the branch. Oh well there's always Onchan...not for long, they then closed that branch. Oh well, I suppose there's always Prospect Terrace.....not for long, yup, they closed that too, professing that, hey most people now bank on-line.

Where was there ANY proof of THAT claim?!

And through all of this IOMG sat back watching, but, saying nothing, like the Manx Gas situation for many years....S.N.A.F.U.

In fairness you are a good example of someone that didn't need to visit the bank.

You can get money transferred electronically by the tax dept and who pays in small amounts of cash? 

In the wider picture banking habits ARE changing.  Whilst it is sad to see branches closing the truth is that it is hard to justify keeping outlying branches open for a few people to pay cheques etc into.   Cheques should just be stopped now from production.   No need for them.

27 minutes ago, Sentience said:

ON TWITTER!!! 

Not a question in Tynwald?? (not that that seems to achieve much) but Twitter, fat lot of good that will do.

As an MHK he should be using the power invested in him by us ludites to use the right channels and processes available to him.

Why would the opening hours of a private business be brought up in  Tynwald?

The fact is IOM Bank is RBS Group.  They will have a shitload of painful nonsensical protocols they are wading through with clipboard warriors who have nothing better to do.   These will be strangling the business.

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You can get money transferred electronically by the tax dept 

If you hadn't specifically selected that option on your actual tax return then they can't now change it and will only issue the cheque. That's what I got told by them a few weeks ago when I asked them to do it following my assessment finally turning up.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

If you hadn't specifically selected that option on your actual tax return then they can't now change it and will only issue the cheque. That's what I got told by them a few weeks ago when I asked them to do it following my assessment finally turning up.

I've found them very helpful whenever I've had dealings with them.  

These days you need to be tuned in to things like this and be organised.  I guess the government will continue to offer a cheque service for rebates etc but really these days people should be doing their returns online where possible or at least specifying on their paper return to send the rebate electronically. 

Last year was the first time I'd ever filled it in online. Because I have receipts and C11's to go through I've always preferred to do it manually in the past. It was pretty simple doing it online though, and will do it that way in future. I hadn't selected the electronic refund option by mistake really. It's not a problem,just pointing out why people could still be getting physical cheques is all.

22 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

In fairness you are a good example of someone that didn't need to visit the bank.

You can get money transferred electronically by the tax dept and who pays in small amounts of cash? 

In the wider picture banking habits ARE changing.  Whilst it is sad to see branches closing the truth is that it is hard to justify keeping outlying branches open for a few people to pay cheques etc into.   Cheques should just be stopped now from production.   No need for them.

DDB taking simply the opposing view as usual.

Doesn't that get a little boring....even for you.

Once the unexpected 'Cheque' arrives the choice of how to get it into your account has gone.

The waiting line-up at Prospect Terrace back in the day told a different tale as to 'changing habits'.

6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

but really these days people should be doing their returns online where possible or at least specifying on their paper return to send the rebate electronically. 

Try telling that to an 87 year old relative of mine who really has no need for a PC/laptop/pad etc; who still prefers to receive paper bank statements and would rather speak with someone IN the bank rather than over the telephone or visiting a mobile bank van where all they do is take your name whilst you wait another two weeks for someone to call you.

Otherwise I would agree with you.

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

Try telling that to an 87 year old relative of mine who really has no need for a PC/laptop/pad etc; who still prefers to receive paper bank statements and would rather speak with someone IN the bank rather than over the telephone or visiting a mobile bank van where all they do is take your name whilst you wait another two weeks for someone to call you.

Zackly!!

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I agree.  My mum is the same in terms of IT etc but it's a changing world. Rightly or wrongly

8 minutes ago, Sentience said:

DDB taking simply the opposing view as usual.

Doesn't that get a little boring....even for you.

Once the unexpected 'Cheque' arrives the choice of how to get it into your account has gone.

The waiting line-up at Prospect Terrace back in the day told a different tale as to 'changing habits'.

Nothing wrong with an opposing view.  Especially when it is right.

I'm concious the pace of change for old people is intimidating at times but it is reality.

The IOM Bank's opening hours are not a matter for Tynwald.  

In your case you could just post the cheque in and keep the cash.  Alter your tax return next year to electronic payment.

7 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I agree.  My mum is the same in terms of IT etc but it's a changing world. Rightly or wrongly

So it's something that the banks/IOMG are going to have to have some patience with until these old dinosaurs fuck off out the way, including your mum.

Archived