Isle of Man Bank

Sentience

18 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Once the unexpected 'Cheque' arrives the choice of how to get it into your account has gone.

The waiting line-up at Prospect Terrace back in the day told a different tale as to 'changing habits'.

My bank lets me deposit cheques via the mobile ap.

I'd say habits have continued to change since the Prospect Terrace Branch closed - you want proof? There's only three of you queuing outside at 9:30 on a Monday morning despite that branch covering what used to be covered by Laxey, Onchan, Marina, Prospect Terrace and Regent Street branches.

The lock down will have added to that gradual lessening of custom. The Butcher in Port Erin has gone to contactless for example, so no need for him to visit to drop off the cash takings.

Although I agree it is difficult for the old folk. Because the Port Erin branch is shut, me Mum turns up at mine everytime her card doesn't work in the butchers.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

To be fair to Tory Boot he has complained on Twitter about lack of access to IOMB counter services

Or just lack of service at all. I have an elderly relative who was running out of money to buy food as IOM bank has taken 8 weeks to issue a new cheque book. Older people can’t remember PIN numbers on cards and don’t do online banking. It’s a disgrace really that when they’ve been isolated they’re worried about how they will pay family and neighbours for doing their shopping for them as they’ve run out of cash and cheques. IOM Bank are crap. 

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Nothing wrong with an opposing view.  Especially when it is right.

I'm concious the pace of change for old people is intimidating at times but it is reality.

The IOM Bank's opening hours are not a matter for Tynwald.  

In your case you could just post the cheque in and keep the cash.  Alter your tax return next year to electronic payment.

if the cash you're paying in is to cover direct debits going out of your account holding on to it is of no use.

Also if you are a business customer with cash to pay in and change requirements what do you do? If in port Erin go to Castletown to queue !!!

absolute shambles and when asked in Facebook they say we are following Government guidelines to protect staff & customers!!!

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

Or just lack of service at all. I have an elderly relative who was running out of money to buy food as IOM bank has taken 8 weeks to issue a new cheque book. Older people can’t remember PIN numbers on cards and don’t do online banking. It’s a disgrace really that when they’ve been isolated they’re worried about how they will pay family and neighbours for doing their shopping for them as they’ve run out of cash and cheques. IOM Bank are crap. 

That just sounds like bollocks to be honest.  Who goes food shopping with a cheque book?  You can spend up to 45 quid without a pin too.

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That just sounds like bollocks to be honest.  Who goes food shopping with a cheque book?  You can spend up to 45 quid without a pin too.

Everything seems to sound like bollocks to you. The lady is 89 and other family members are doing her shopping for her as she is shielding and they have been for three months. Her only way of paying them back for her shopping is by cheque as she can’t go to the bank for cash. No cheques no access to money. Many elderly people have the same issue. That might sound like bollocks to you but it’s the reality for a lot of elderly people during this crisis. The banks should be capable of supporting them. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Everything seems to sound like bollocks to you. The lady is 89 and other family members are doing her shopping for her as she is shielding and they have been for three months. Her only way of paying them back for her shopping is by cheque as she can’t go to the bank for cash. No cheques no access to money. Many elderly people have the same issue. That might sound like bollocks to you but it’s the reality for a lot of elderly people during this crisis. The banks should be capable of supporting them. 

Is that actually happening though?  Two months for a cheque book?  You tend to make a lot of stuff up so you can rant about it which is why I (and others) often think you're making it up.

Archived