IOMSPC 190 !!

b4mbi

The first of the four pictures above reminds me of Manxman's Dining Saloon. Tables for eight people, and along the sides, silverware leaning against the portholes....... until it got a bit bouncy, and everything started to fall.....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Don’t forget, these were three class ships. First, second and steerage. Out of, say, 2500 total passengers only 150 or so travelled first. But they were allocated 20%+ of the space.

There was a second class dining saloon, and then deck buffets. Even promenade decks were segregated. The lower down the socioeconomic  pecking Order you were the less space and facilities you got.

Ive got a sign from Manxman, built 1955, that states that second class passengers were not allowed past this point. The boats became single class around 1960.

How did you acquire that sign John? I think we should be told....

I remember silver service when I stayed at The Grand in Brighton. Especially the flourish as everyone's meal was revealed at the same time. I find it amusing that the same level of service was available on the dear old steamie.

But every time has it's own fashion and style....

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

Hard to believe such well-heeled travellers, in such numbers looking at the seating, would visit a charming but unsophisticated backwater like the island...

Travellers expected less, were less jaded. The scenery, castles, glens, dance halls, pleasure gardens, theatres offered as much as many UK resorts. There was lots going on. It was sophisticated. It had the added allure of the steamer journey.

9 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The first of the four pictures above reminds me of Manxman's Dining Saloon. Tables for eight people, and along the sides, silverware leaning against the portholes....... until it got a bit bouncy, and everything started to fall.....

The 1945/6 refits of the Lady and Ben laid the design ground work for the sisters over the following 10 years. Moquette armchairs, some wood, dining room lay out. Everything was interchangeable. 

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Travellers expected less, were less jaded. The scenery, castles, glens, dance halls, pleasure gardens, theatres offered as much as many UK resorts. There was lots going on. It was sophisticated. It had the added allure of the steamer journey.

Things have become somewhat utilitarian since then.

But I get the idea.

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Things have become somewhat utilitarian since then.

But I get the idea.

The facilities on the current Ben are luxury compared to the side loaders, the sisters or steerage.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

The facilities on the current Ben are luxury compared to the side loaders, the sisters or steerage.

Sure. But as a kid it was just all good fun.

Even the green "departures" hanger at Pier Head!

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

Hard to believe such well-heeled travellers, in such numbers looking at the seating, would visit a charming but unsophisticated backwater like the island...

There were always some - though, as John points out, more aspiring middle classes rather than the really wealthy who would even then go to the Continent or (as now) have their own summer residences.  But my impression is that these facilities were always rather underused, except perhaps on the busiest sailings where people would pay the extra simply to get a seat.

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

Don’t forget, these were three class ships. First, second and steerage. Out of, say, 2500 total passengers only 150 or so travelled first. But they were allocated 20%+ of the space.

There was a second class dining saloon, and then deck buffets. Even promenade decks were segregated. The lower down the socioeconomic  pecking Order you were the less space and facilities you got.

Ive got a sign from Manxman, built 1955, that states that second class passengers were not allowed past this point. The boats became single class around 1960.

I think it was a little later John, I recall sailing to Belfast in 1964/5 and the barrier was still in place and the sign telling you that if you were found in first class you would be charged the extra fare. There were people going around shouting 'tickets please' to check you were in your place. The ticket was just like a card bus ticket which they clipped.

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think it was a little later John, I recall sailing to Belfast in 1964/5 and the barrier was still in place and the sign telling you that if you were found in first class you would be charged the extra fare. There were people going around shouting 'tickets please' to check you were in your place. The ticket was just like a card bus ticket which they clipped.

I’m honestly not sure when they went single class. I thought it was when they first two side loaders came on line. So you May we’ll be right. 

Im not sure the barriers were removed, but no longer enforced.

Yes, I remember the Edmondson card tickets and clipping. Thomas Edmondson invented the card tickets for the railways in 1842. He was a cabinet maker at Gillows in Lancaster. 

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m honestly not sure when they went single class. I thought it was when they first two side loaders came on line. So you May we’ll be right. 

Im not sure the barriers were removed, but no longer enforced.

Yes, I remember the Edmondson card tickets and clipping. Thomas Edmondson invented the card tickets for the railways in 1842. He was a cabinet maker at Gillows in Lancaster. 

Now I think about it, I'm sure it was when the new Ben my Chree was introduced in 1966. The Manx Maid must have either been single class from the start or had some first class facilities? I didn't travel on her until 1967 so can't say from experience but I did travel on the Ben in her first year.

Archived