IOMSPC 190 !!

b4mbi

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Limited celebrates it's 190th birthday today and is the oldest continually operating passenger shipping company in the world.

Originally called the Mona's Isle Company, it was formed after the princely sum of £6,000 was raised!

Whatever gripes and moans we all have about it, we should be proud of the consistent service it has provided as the Island's lifeline over all of this time. 

Happy Birthday!

(Can't hurt to have the occasional positive post can it?!)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, that is quite an achievement.  

Wish they would bring back the oiled wool jumpers though!  Would definitely have one. 

Yes. They really were the business weren't they? Had almost forgotten about them. Why not? They could start a cult with the right exposure.

56 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Limited celebrates it's 190th birthday today and is the oldest continually operating passenger shipping company in the world.

Barring a few strikes and a forced financial restructuring.

55 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, that is quite an achievement.  

Wish they would bring back the oiled wool jumpers though!  Would definitely have one. 

They were brilliant, I still have one somewhere although it no longer fits me. I think they had plans for a relaunch but not sure if it's happening now?

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

In the spirit of positivity I will say the lady of man was my all time favourite steampacket boat

Which one, the last one or the 1930 version? That and the 1927 Ben my Chree were something else. I guess their sister, the Mona's Queen was a belter too but lost at Dunkirk.

24 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

In the spirit of positivity I will say the lady of man was my all time favourite steampacket boat

Mona’s Isle for me

48 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Which one? The latest ship to carry that name did not perform very well after refit, and didn't last long.

It certainly wasn't the first four that's for sure... :thumbsup:

To be honest, any of the old style boats were better than the current vessel. They had a bit of character. The silver service restaurant on board always made the trip a bit special

I loved all the sisters, the Ben IV and Lady 1 were amazing when I first travelled as a child and into my early teens, the side loaders were great.

My favourites have to be

Manx Viking, which was a Steam Packer boat for a while. Introducing true Ro-Ro travel, and integrated freight logistics, two round trips a day all year round,  modern facilities, comfortable seats, self serve. Dragging Manx travel into the C20.

Ben my Chree VI. It’s given sterling service day in day out. Travelled many more hours in service than any other steam packet boat. 

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I loved all the sisters, the Ben IV and Lady 1 were amazing when I first travelled as a child and into my early teens, the side loaders were great.

My favourites have to be

Manx Viking, which was a Steam Packer boat for a while. Introducing true Ro-Ro travel, and integrated freight logistics, two round trips a day all year round,  modern facilities, comfortable seats, self serve. Dragging Manx travel into the C20.

Ben my Chree VI. It’s given sterling service day in day out. Travelled many more hours in service than any other steam packet boat. 

Agree about the Manx Viking. It also had a dedicated bunking area for freight drivers

Archived