IOMSPC 190 !!

b4mbi

The previous Ben-my-Chree, the Manx Maid and the Mona's Queen were my favourites. They seemed like classics to me.

And those formidable babushkas in nurses' hats who ran the quiet lounges before they were converted. I always found that the sound of the engines down there was great for getting to sleep. Much better than the crappy videos.

And fresh Manx kippers are for sale by the gang plank. Last chance.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salon and First Class dining saloon from 1927 Ben. These date from about 1963/4. The Lady was more or less identical. They were both refurbished after WW2 and were much less opulent than their pre WW2 fit out.

BE170360-F97C-48AB-9B7E-79CE481C771E.jpeg

2FC9F8BC-26DE-42B5-80CE-BAC0663C1CF1.jpeg

ADB023F0-B92E-4F8E-BF0D-DE28B19AF300.jpeg

061021E2-2556-48CA-B72B-480EC63286EB.jpeg

41 minutes ago, pongo said:

The previous Ben-my-Chree, the Manx Maid and the Mona's Queen were my favourites. They seemed like classics to me.

And those formidable babushkas in nurses' hats who ran the quiet lounges before they were converted. I always found that the sound of the engines down there was great for getting to sleep. Much better than the crappy videos.

And fresh Manx kippers are for sale by the gang plank. Last chance.

Real Manx Kippers. Herring actual caught here. Not the frozen ones caught and frozen in Scandinavia then shipped here to be defrosted and smoked, then called Manx.

Having just scooted around Wikipedia looking at the war records of these ships the military history is surprising. I had no idea about the extent of involvement in both the 1st and 2nd world wars, the ones sunk, tales of heroism, even Irwin Rommel writing in his papers of a "cheeky little two-funnelled steamer" evading intense fire from shore-batteries, carrying escaping troops and armour, loaded up with stockpiles of ammunition of which one carefully-aimed German shell might've blown her to pieces, according to the Manx captain.

Tremendous. 

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

Having just scooted around Wikipedia looking at the war records of these ships the military history is surprising. I had no idea about the extent of involvement in both the 1st and 2nd world wars, the ones sunk, tales of heroism, even Irwin Rommel writing in his papers of a "cheeky little two-funnelled steamer" evading intense fire from shore-batteries, carrying escaping troops and armour, loaded up with stockpiles of ammunition of which one carefully-aimed German shell might've blown her to pieces, according to the Manx captain.

Tremendous. 

I recall reading that the Lady embarked more men from Dunkirk than any other ship.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Stunning pictures those John. Had no idea the first class saloons/dining facilities were so opulent. A real eye-opener. Thanks. 

Hard to believe such well-heeled travellers, in such numbers looking at the seating, would visit a charming but unsophisticated backwater like the island...

Stunning pictures those John. Had no idea the first class saloons/dining facilities were so opulent. A real eye-opener. Thanks. 

With the service that would have gone with the opulence you wouldn't have needed an iPad or whatever. There would have been too much going on to have your head down. 

You wouldn’t have seen them anyway. Too busy being seasick...:thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Hard to believe such well-heeled travellers, in such numbers looking at the seating, would visit a charming but unsophisticated backwater like the island...

Really? The island was a very popular destination for many well heeled travellers, hence the very many high class hotels that no longer exist. They weren't built for the " common classes".

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Really? The island was a very popular destination for many well heeled travellers, hence the very many high class hotels that no longer exist. They weren't built for the " common classes".

I recall the Balqueen Hydro being about twice the size of the remains. Plus hotels on PE promenade having ballroom dancing.

There was also a sign at the bottom of the road that warned "No Charabancs!"

Something for everyone I guess...

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Don’t forget, these were three class ships. First, second and steerage. Out of, say, 2500 total passengers only 150 or so travelled first. But they were allocated 20%+ of the space.

There was a second class dining saloon, and then deck buffets. Even promenade decks were segregated. The lower down the socioeconomic  pecking Order you were the less space and facilities you got.

Ive got a sign from Manxman, built 1955, that states that second class passengers were not allowed past this point. The boats became single class around 1960.

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

They were very much built for the lower orders. That was the vast majority of the trade. But they had a Sunday suit, they’d saved, they’d learned to dance in social clubs attached to their work. They came to spend and enjoy.  

The, few, hotels you are talking about were for middle class, management, professionals. Not particularly well heeled.

Hotels weren’t just on the prom, but all the side streets with 4 or 6 letting bedrooms. One family to each room.

Archived