Man sacked for anonymous online comments

Mr Newbie

An interesting discussing point from the US. It seems that Tucker Carlson writer Blake Neff has been forced to resign over racist messages he apparently made via an anonymous account he set up on an Internet message board. Apparently somebody shopped him to the station and an investigation took place. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-53378792

Not in the Stu Peters mould but nonetheless an interesting situation given that the guy is a writer and some of it looks like an attempt at humour rather than being overtly offensive. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'd have thought views like that were a prerequisite for the job. 

Well that’s true. Carlsson is a right wing nut job so a bit of under the counter racism should be hardly surprising. But it takes a particular sort of shitbag to shop someone like that though really. He could well have been using the platform as a writing experience and just winding a few people up. Hardly a sackable offense but the cancel-culture at the moment seems to want heads to validate itself. 

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Having read a couple other things about that case, although the 'darkies' comments have made the headlines I think its the 'doxxing' of a woman that has really got him sacked.

Yes I saw that too

And over the course of five years, Neff has maintained a lengthy thread in which he has derided a woman and posted information about her dating life that has invited other users to mock her and invade her privacy.

When reading that I did wonder if those posters here who seem to have contributed to similar long term attacks on that poster called TJ would be regarded the same? 

On 7/12/2020 at 9:36 AM, TheTeapot said:

No not really. You aren't allowed to 'dox' someone on here (he actually did it to me but removed it when I sent him a pm) and frankly he brings criticism on himself.

I’m not so sure. I’ve just about worked out who the person is from information publicly posted by other posters and some of it is quite offensive in respect of claims about their mental health. This was interesting too from the CNN report of the same story. I wonder how many posters here are in a similar position in relation to their day jobs etc as MF comments have been equally criticized with lawyers issuing threats in the past have they not? 

While working at Fox News, and while a reporter at The Daily Caller, Neff was a frequent poster on AutoAdmit. Also known as XOXOhth, it is a relatively unmoderated message board like 4chan aimed at lawyers and law school students in which racism and sexism run rampant.

The board's vulgar content was previously the subject of much criticism, and two Yale students sued anonymous posters on the site in 2007 alleging they had defamed them and made threatening remarks. The Hartford Courant reported in 2009 that the lawsuit was quietly settled after some of the posters were identified.

6 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

Yes I saw that too

And over the course of five years, Neff has maintained a lengthy thread in which he has derided a woman and posted information about her dating life that has invited other users to mock her and invade her privacy.

When reading that I did wonder if those posters here who seem to have contributed to similar long term attacks on that poster called TJ would be regarded the same? 

How? They are nothing alike.

One posted about a woman with what appears to be no actual reason and was just malicious to her?

The other is a clown from Onchan posting across multiple platforms with multiple id's and, as Teapot said, brings it on himself.

The comment above is fairly unnecessary but shows what an anonymous bullying platform this forum seems to default to at times. I’m not even sure the individual lives in Onchan anymore to be honest. But that wasn’t the main reason for my post. I thought it was an interesting comparison to the Stu Peters issue to begin with because it seems that even if posts are anonymous and you work in the media some movements will target people. But Teapot mentioned the doxxing matter and suggested it doesn’t happen here when clearly it does as many regular contributors seem to have similarly doxxed a regular forum poster in a malicious way for no real reason other than to provide forum amusement. Although I’d be prepared to wager there’s an outside chance that its perhaps had similar real life implications to the lady in the above report. 

You seem claim knowledge of so much and yet perhaps consistently demonstrate knowledge of so little. It seems to be a very similar situation at first glance although as I said it wasn’t the main reason for my post. Targeting people who work in the media or as journalists for what is at best silly online activity is quite a change in tactics. I wonder how many journalists or people in the media post on here? I’d guess quite a few. 

41 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

How does it sound familiar in your yet again claimed / assumed position of knowledge? 

Do I hear echoes of Dave Angel, Grayson. 

Posters who are banned and come back are readily identifiable. Words, language patterns, IP address. They may not be noticed for some time. But, eventually.

Newbie, you’re apparently new here. TJ and his more than 100 aliases/alter egos was banned for really good reasons. We’ve tried to accommodate him over the years. We’ve allowed him to post. But it always ends in tears. 

There’s no bullying. Just the pain of having to deal with incessant breaches and damage for 8 years. Hours of wasted moderator time. 90% of all moderator time and message/e-mail exchanges over 8 years taken up by TJ. More than AG.

Anyway his two concurrent aliases Rushen Spy and FDR are gone.

Archived