Man sacked for anonymous online comments

Mr Newbie

9 hours ago, Declan said:

To be honest I never really had much to do with him. He was just another poster there was nothing that signal him out from The Sultan or Neil Down or WTF and the other hair trigger brigade.

There seems to be a huge focus from some quarters on posters who don’t even post on here anymore. Just like the comments I mentioned about TJ. I had no idea who that poster was other than reading relentless references to them being mental and a nuisance by people still posting insults years after the event. It seems so odd to me. And to be fair it’s pure bullying if enough information is drip fed via every post made so people can work out who it probably is IRL. The people doing it would appear to have a bigger problem than the poster themselves. I also had a look at the account for one of the oft cited posters referred to by TDDB and it seems that no posts even exist so it seems to be a load of fuss and ridiculous claims about absolutely nothing. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

I have no idea who that poster is other than reading relentless references to them being mental and a nuisance by people still posting years after the event. It seems so odd.

In principle I agree, but I think it's more complicated than that in practice. TJ was bombarding the forums so relentlessly, for so long, and under god knows how many different usernames that it's no wonder that a lot of people came to suspect and react poorly to every new member whose posts bore even a passing resemblance to his contributions. 

Not saying it's right, or that it didn't go too far in places, but it's not surprising or that strange either.

@Declan "Unless you're a moderator..."

Isn't there something slightly odd about certain problematic posters who complain that the forum is sheight, consistently accusing other posters of being "angry" or "mental" then culminating in a flouncing meltdown, never to return, apparently, or finding themselves banned only to then reappear either immediately or after a few weeks with a new moniker, claiming to be an unfamiliar newbie when it's plainly obvious by their posting style who they were/are? Don't you see this as sleightly odd? Like they just can't stay away? Their thinking they're getting away with it and the denial always makes me howl... :lol:

It would be interesting to see Mr Newbie be honest enough to admit how many different accounts he's had, and how many have been banned. 

Predictable answer:

"You sound irrationally angry tbh, this is my only account, dont know why anyone would be bothered i joined these forums after being warned off them by everyone else that they;re full off sad old men and it turns out they were right... continued in typical ranty style for another paragraph or two"

12 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It would be interesting to see Mr Newbie be honest enough to admit how many different accounts he's had, and how many have been banned. 

Ask away. You can always PM me. You can also block my posts if they annoy you too. But it seems to me that this forum largely perpetuates itself on lies and the ongoing abuse of easy targets by people who think they’re anonymous but really aren’t. I can’t even find any posts made by one of the oft cited posters above so it really does seem to be that some posters have a continued opinion on something based on absolutely nothing. 

13 minutes ago, quilp said:

@Declan "Unless you're a moderator..."

Isn't there something slightly odd about certain problematic posters who complain that the forum is sheight, consistently accusing other posters of being "angry" or "mental" then culminating in a flouncing meltdown, never to return, apparently, or finding themselves banned only to then reappear either immediately or after a few weeks with a new moniker, claiming to be an unfamiliar newbie when it's plainly obvious by their posting style who they were/are? Don't you see this as sleightly odd? Like they just can't stay away? Their thinking they're getting away with it and the denial always makes me howl... :lol:

I spotted and amended the your/you're error before I unhid your post. But thanks.

It is slightly odd, but not really worth me worrying about. Just respond to the post in front of you.

49 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

In principle I agree, but I think it's more complicated than that in practice. TJ was bombarding the forums so relentlessly, for so long, and under god knows how many different usernames that it's no wonder that a lot of people came to suspect and react poorly to every new member whose posts bore even a passing resemblance to his contributions. 

I get that totally but you can simply block a poster on here. You don't have to ridicule and insult them and virtually name them and present them as an idiot to the world for years and years as an act of revenge. Maybe just block content you don’t like? 

22 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

I get that totally but you can simply block a poster on here. You don't have to ridicule and insult them and virtually name them and present them as an idiot to the world for years and years as an act of revenge. Maybe just block content you don’t like? 

Perhaps, but TJ had a special talent for continuously spamming and generally trashing threads. Some people would always reply (and I include myself in that category), which would mean both that those threads would be derailed in short order and a lot of the content would show up in quoted text.  "Don't feed the troll" has been a maxim of newsgroups, chat rooms, and bulletin boards since almost their beginnings, but it rarely if ever works thanks to the fact that someone is always going to engage the troll.

Also, you can't blame some people for assuming he was doing it purely out of malice (maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, I don't know), which is always going to lead to people feeling justified in levelling abuse.  Again, not saying that it's right or that it didn't go too far at times, but it's not inconsistent with basic human nature. Were someone to behave, for whatever reason, so obnoxiously on such a regular basis in any real-world social setting, my guess is that they'd end up being treated in much the same way (or much worse).

8 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Also, you can't blame some people for assuming he was doing it purely out of malice (maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, I don't know), which is always going to lead to people feeling justified in levelling abuse. 

Assumption seems to be the underlying criteria here. You can assume a lot of things. Few of them may actually be true. That said I’ve leaned a lot from this thread and some of the normally infrequent MF posters who have contributed to it. 

Archived