Gef the Mongoose, Howard's Der Sturmer?

Max Power

2 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Gef the Mongoose is written by morons (or if you prefer, ‘credulous juveniles’, the term I used last week) for morons, as that ‘Howie and Ashy’ cringefest ably demonstrated.

You described them even better a few weeks back, I can't remember exactly what it was, got a chuckle out of me though.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TheTeapot said:

You described them even better a few weeks back, I can't remember exactly what it was, got a chuckle out of me though.

If I had a memory I’d help you out!

1 minute ago, NoTail said:

I have really become pissed off with the quality of our local news people.  On the Thursday briefing, typically Howard would say testing is pointless on arrival because of the delay in incubation.  Then each great reporter will ask why we can't just test on arrival. GRR!,

Because they have planned to ask that question and nobody's going to stop them because they can't think on their feet!

Gef asked the best questions and produced excellent summaries, but quickly turned into government cheerleaders, presumably because of funding. They also hit a demographic that the conventional Manx media does not, younger people. The standard of questioning by local journalists was embarrassingly poor, repetitive and inarticulate, so there was plenty of scope for the usual channels to be shaken up, but the talking mongoose has now lost credibility for news - it's just PR.

11 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Gef the Mongoose is written by morons (or if you prefer, ‘credulous juveniles’, the term I used last week) for morons, as that ‘Howie and Ashy’ cringefest ably demonstrated.

Yes but I suppose it worked in getting some sort of government message out to an audience that was basically morons who were spreading all sorts of rubbish on Facebook about Covid and who were also not going to follow the totally tedious government press updates. I think the biggest waste of money over the crisis was Manx Radio and us having to subsidize the pay for some angry idiot like Tim Glover to ask the Quayle or Ashford some of the dumbest questions known to man. 

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh it was " their sycophantic juvenile fan club at Jef the Fucking Mongoose" :)

Ah - I recall now. Kind of you to admire it!

23 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes but I suppose it worked in getting some sort of government message out to an audience that was basically morons who were spreading all sorts of rubbish on Facebook about Covid and who were also not going to follow the totally tedious government press updates. I think the biggest waste of money over the crisis was Manx Radio and us having to subsidize the pay for some angry idiot like Tim Glover to ask the Quayle or Ashford some of the dumbest questions known to man. 

Fair enough - Glover and Moulton were locked in perpetual mortal combat to prove who was the bigger twat.

46 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Fair enough - Glover and Moulton were locked in perpetual mortal combat to prove who was the bigger twat.

Both carrying on the tradition of going to King Bill's in the 1970s/1980s.

5 hours ago, manxman34 said:

Gef asked the best questions and produced excellent summaries,

Which they made unreadable, to me, by using all-caps and an illegible font.

Came across as arrogant - their opinions on what Howie and Co had to say were so pressing that accessibility went out the window. And massively hypocritical since they present themselves as so woke on other issues.

Their wide-eyed naivety towards the government was to be expected, that is their usual tone of voice on any subject. You would think their target demographic, millennial avocado eaters, are now old enough and have enough life and work experience to know Gef's whole shtick is patronising. And of course Gen Z don't use facebook. So hopefully they'll grow up or go away before the next

15 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Don’t we pay Manx Radio £800,000 a year to do the same? 

This is the thing

The 'wall to wall Brindley system' has turned MR into just another operator over the airwaves

Better the taxpayer instead moderately funded some sort of digital media hub?

15 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Are they proper journos?

11 minutes ago, Declan said:

Which they made unreadable, to me, by using all-caps and an illegible font.

Came across as arrogant - their opinions on what Howie and Co had to say were so pressing that accessibility went out the window. And massively hypocritical since they present themselves as so woke on other issues.

Their wide-eyed naivety towards the government was to be expected, that is their usual tone of voice on any subject. You would think their target demographic, millennial avocado eaters, are now old enough and have enough life and work experience to know Gef's whole shtick is patronising. And of course Gen Z don't use facebook. So hopefully they'll grow up or go away before the next

The thing about their hideous and unusable typography is that it's meant to look fashionable, not meant to be read.  Similarly the point isn't to produce something that young people would read - it's to produce something that looks to old people (with the money) that young people would read it.

Archived