Gef the Mongoose, Howard's Der Sturmer?

Max Power

6 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Is there any history of IOMG using on island PR firms to communicate with the electorate?

MR is supposed to have tilted toward a young audience, you'd think communications effort would be concentrated there

Well, I mean, Department for Enterprise spend a FORTUNE with Lansons a UK/US PR agency. Then you have IOM Advertising & PR which get a tonne of Gov work too.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Well, I mean, Department for Enterprise spend a FORTUNE with Lansons a UK/US PR agency. Then you have IOM Advertising & PR which get a tonne of Gov work too.

While Mr Hooper seems to complain about every other department, while not looking at his own.

DfE don't seem to care about the tender process.

I would love someone to ask what tender process Mr Callister darts and pool events have been through.

1 minute ago, Holte End said:

While Mr Hooper seems to complain about every other department, while not looking at his own.

I would love someone to ask what tender process Mr Callister darts and pool events have been through.

at the risk of bleeding over a discussion from "And they're off" that's pretty much the norm across government departments isn't it?

the members of said departments don't publicly question and if they do they get booted out (Like Hooper got booted out of Treasury/SAVE for voting against the budget).

I think it only really stands out if you've a reputation for asking a lot of critical questions of everyone else

13 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Hooper has also been at education since outset and look at the shambles there!

21 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Couldn't agree more. Enterprise just does its own shit with no care.

So many deals done without tender processes. No real oversight. A guy I know submitted an FOI against Enterprise not long back and someone in Enterprise actually mentioned to him over a pint about how he'd submitted it. I thought they were meant to keep that stuff in cabinet office...

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Lansons contract is/was with Cabinet Office I think. So reasonably frequently they do pay agencies to do external PR for them. Not really that different to Gef The Mongy I don’t think. 

43 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Lansons contract is/was with Cabinet Office I think. So reasonably frequently they do pay agencies to do external PR for them. Not really that different to Gef The Mongy I don’t think. 

It wouldn't be any different if Lansons had developed their own 'news' platform, and were invited to ask questions at government press conferences. I'm sure nobody would mind that at all would they? 

15 minutes ago, maynragh said:

It wouldn't be any different if Lansons had developed their own 'news' platform, and were invited to ask questions at government press conferences. I'm sure nobody would mind that at all would they? 

It isn’t primarily a news platform though is it? They sell t-shirts with silly cartoon faces on them and other items of local tat as well as doing some amusing stories about the IOM. That’s not the normal operations of a news channel is it? As for asking questions well they couldn’t have done a worse job than Manx Radio even if they were Viz Magazine or Playboy (although Norman Mailer and Jack Kerouac did used to write or Playboy - so is a wank mag also a news platform?). You don’t have to be a journalist or an official news source to have the franchise on idiotic Covid questions. It looks to me like just PR. You just sound bitter to be honest. Do you work for Manx Radio? 

To be fair to Gef The Mongoose they do produce, advertise and sell some swimming costumes with Howards face on them*, and those mugs, the ones that encouraged us to get rat-arsed on red wine** at 'Howard O'Clock'.

* I could look on the internet for a picture of them but one of the difficulties I had over lockdown was trying to 'unsee' the picture from teh first time I saw it.

** that's what I took it to mean, and indeed did.

3 minutes ago, gettafa said:

To be fair to Gef The Mongoose they do produce, advertise and sell some swimming costumes with Howards face on them*, and those mugs, the ones that encouraged us to get rat-arsed on red wine** at 'Howard O'Clock'.

* I could look on the internet for a picture of them but one of the difficulties I had over lockdown was trying to 'unsee' the picture from teh first time I saw it.

** that's what I took it to mean, and indeed did.

mockup_Front_White-3.jpg

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It isn’t primarily a news platform though is it? They sell t-shirts with silly cartoon faces on them and other items of local tat as well as doing some amusing stories about the IOM. That’s not the normal operations of a news channel is it? As for asking questions well they couldn’t have done a worse job than Manx Radio even if they were Viz Magazine or Playboy (although Norman Mailer and Jack Kerouac did used to write or Playboy). You don’t have to be a journalist to have the franchise on idiotic Covid questions. You just sound bitter to be honest. Do you work for Manx Radio? 

Erm, you've sort of confirmed the point. It wasn't really a news platform before Covid, then it became one around the same time (we have to assume) they started receiving payments from government. But no no, I'm sure everyone here would be fine if Lansons had been there as well, all totally normal.   

5 minutes ago, maynragh said:

Erm, you've sort of confirmed the point. It wasn't really a news platform before Covid, then it became one around the same time (we have to assume) they started receiving payments from government. 

I said explicitly that I don’t believe it’s a news platform at all. No more than Playboy Magazine was despite Norman Mailer contributing to cutting edge political articles in it. Or Viz Magazine which also sells amusing t-shits and coffee cups with silly slogans on them mixed in with jokes about politicians and other social observations. It’s PR and entertainment. 

1 minute ago, maynragh said:

Erm, you've sort of confirmed the point. It wasn't really a news platform before Covid, then it became one around the same time (we have to assume) they started receiving payments from government. But no no, I'm sure everyone here would be fine if Lansons had been there as well, all totally normal.   

Personally I don't believe it is a conspiracy or any nefarious plan.

I think it was a genuine move that just doesn't look great

Equally Gef as an advertising or PR company was one that blurred the lines between paid for and non paid for content - but that is the modern style with that Buzzfeed-esque kind of online presence. 

Mixing news which the British Isles has always viewed as impartial and sacrosanct might blue the line further but it's very much how most of the world operates

Archived