Isle of Wight TT

Capt_Mainwaring

I suspect it is just the journalist calling it the Isle of Wight TT. Any attempt to call it the Isle of Wight TT officially would be a trademark violation. Hence the Diamond Races title.. 

I see that a lot of expensive work has yet to be done to the Course and the self funded cost of the races is  between £2m and £5m. The wide disparity in the projected costs would indicate that they don’t actually know what the true cost will be and, therefore don’t yet have a firm appreciation of the self-funding burden. Couple that with road race fans who expect to watch for nothing. Good luck with that! 

• Like 5

I know the IOW quite well, and no chance will the locals let this happen. The roads are generally crap and very busy, and the night life is shocking, Not the sort of place that would put up with a few thousand 'bikers', and to be honest, not the sort of place 'bikers and motorsport fans would want to go. It couldn't be more different to the IOM.

22 minutes ago, winnie said:

I know the IOW quite well, and no chance will the locals let this happen. The roads are generally crap and very busy, and the night life is shocking, Not the sort of place that would put up with a few thousand 'bikers', and to be honest, not the sort of place 'bikers and motorsport fans would want to go. It couldn't be more different to the IOM.

Sounds just like the IoM

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, winnie said:

To be honest, with the exception of the "crap roads" bit (cue any amount of grumbling about what's spent on the TT course roads), right now quite a few people would apply much of that statement to the IOM.

The IOM's big plus in that respect is that it's already got its TT history and tradition to give it a leg up. It's established.

It's doubtless a lot cheaper and more convenient to get to the IOW too, which would appeal to many. It's another island relatively "away" from main population centres who might object. It might be able to run without being treated as a major source of income for an over-bloated Government, ie more affordable for those who want to come. At this stage I'd discount it at your peril.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

https://onthewight.com/isle-of-wight-tt-the-diamond-races-are-coming-circuit-map-and-photos/

Be interesting to see what IOMG make of this, from a trademark perspective??

I doubt TT trademark would stand in court - was used for decades before being registered, also depends in which jurisdictions it's been applied for.

I'm all up for the IOW TT.

Personly, I find the roads on the IOM excellent. You should see the state of the roads in Hampshire and Surrey - pot holes every few hundred yards on all roads except m/ways, hedges not cut back any where the last few years and congestion like you've never seen!! One of the reasons i love the IOM.

I think the ferry to the IOW is the most expensive crossing per mile in the world. It can cost up to £100 for car plus 2 to cross the 5 miles!! Makes Steam Packet seem cheap!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

I doubt TT trademark would stand in court - was used for decades before being registered, also depends in which jurisdictions it's been applied for.

The DfE has the TT trademark registered in connection with motorcycle races in the UK and EU. Given that the IOW is in the UK and would be using it in connection to a motorcycle race of course it would stand up in court. There is absolutely no legal reason why it would not. IP law is not particularly straight forward but in the context of using someone else’s properly registered trademark in the same jurisdiction that it is registered, in exactly the same categories of registration, is about as straight forward as it gets. 

9 minutes ago, winnie said:

I'm all up for the IOW TT.

Personly, I find the roads on the IOM excellent. You should see the state of the roads in Hampshire and Surrey - pot holes every few hundred yards on all roads except m/ways, hedges not cut back any where the last few years and congestion like you've never seen!! One of the reasons i love the IOM.

I think the ferry to the IOW is the most expensive crossing per mile in the world. It can cost up to £100 for car plus 2 to cross the 5 miles!! Makes Steam Packet seem cheap!!

£100 for a car + 2 is still a lump cheaper than a TT-time crossing with Steamie though?

Any roads used there for a racing circuit would have to be brought up to the necessary standards dictated by the relevant governing bodies if necessary. Hence the attention the TT course receives.