Organ Donation - Yes unless it's a No, No.

Apple

5 minutes ago, Apple said:

Glad to hear that. Many others say the same. I have no specific grudge against anyone. They are human, they have their views and they earn a hell of a lot of money doing a job, just like some of the rest of us. Nothing special.

One even saved my life. We have had some good ones and believe me some not so good. Who appoints them do you reckon then? Who mentioned the psychiatrist? 

Believe me , I know of the bad ones. Doing a good job in customer service or stacking shelves or driving a truck, is light years away from performing surgery . Can’t you see that ?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, pongo said:

@Apple- are your one of those people who sometimes dismisses science as just one point of view ?

I honestly don't know what you are referring to here. All I am saying here is that the island can not at this time support this. My career has been governed by science so why should I dismiss it now?

Just now, dilligaf said:

Believe me , I know of the bad ones. Doing a good job in customer service or stacking shelves or driving a truck, is light years away from performing surgery . Can’t you see that ?

Yes I can. Having been part of theatre teams myself I know what a team effort it is and what the protocols are or should be. Did you read all of the KLM report. (question next week).

There are some excellent staff in Nobles but I also know the bad ones, and so do many of the others who stood back and did nothing about them. Isn't that right?

26 minutes ago, Apple said:

Yes I can. Having been part of theatre teams myself I know what a team effort it is and what the protocols are or should be. Did you read all of the KLM report. (question next week).

There are some excellent staff in Nobles but I also know the bad ones, and so do many of the others who stood back and did nothing about them. Isn't that right?

I imagine most felt they could not rock the boat for fear of being ostracised .

23 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I imagine most felt they could not rock the boat for fear of being ostracised .

I am sure patients and staff alike who have had to endure them all agree with you. There are some that will not.

I look forward to the day we can examine our Consultants qualifications, experiences and outcomes so we can have choice. Even maybe testimonials on line, who knows? The field is open.

Some people regard anyone practising clinically here for longer than say 5 years are probably out of date, without the rigour of peer group scrutiny or university attached research and training by working alongside  / updating.

Probably best to read the last couple of years reports from the Mersey Deanery if you can get hold them. (I'll bet you can't). Publish all the different types of complaints over the last 5 years - they won't. Publish all the report in full - no chance. It was Malcolm Couch who said if the CQC came here they would shut Nobles theatre down in an instant, or something to that effect. It may have improved but wasn't it a shame it got to that state in the first place. 

Because we have only the one (semi major) hospital there is a tendency to think we are obligated to always think the best of those who manage and work there. I know that a fear of reprisals has been noted when someone has a complaint but does not want to cause problems. Some suffer in silence, and it is usually those who are the most vulnerable. 

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Unfortunately I have already promised my brain to my second cousin but all other parts can be considered available to the general public. The only proviso being that the successful recipient must also wear my ears .This is in the hope my friends might still recognise me in the street.

Judging by the comments on here, there are several walking brain donors on the Island...

2 hours ago, Apple said:

Lets face it Mr Wright they can't even appoint the right people to the right posts these days. I gather nepotism is still the considered way forward in Nobles but I think you may know more on that than me?

Are you insinuating that I've appointed my family members to work at Noble's? I can assure you that I haven't, and I resent the accusation.  Either withdraw it, or produce evidence.

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Judging by the comments on here, there are several walking brain donors on the Island...

Some of them get a second chance. We elect quite a few of them...

21 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Are you insinuating that I've appointed my family members to work at Noble's? I can assure you that I haven't, and I resent the accusation.  Either withdraw it, or produce evidence.

I heard a similar rumour, but it was not in surgery, but in management. I think apple is alluding to that.

I think it has been covered by  “ be gay’ users” can’t remember how to spell his name.

7 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I heard a similar rumour, but it was not in surgery, but in management. I think apple is alluding to that.

I think it has been covered by  “ be gay’ users” can’t remember how to spell his name.

Totally correct Dilligaf. Was the name Boo Gay"n? 

I am not accusing Mr Wright of anything and I suspect he knows that. Clearly then not in 'the know'.  I don't think Consultants appoint people apart from sitting on the panels that assess candidates etc, do they ? Not sure on that one.

Does anyone yet have a view on whether only IoM blood donors should be eligible to receive donated blood products from the UK? Asking for a friend.

10 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Unfortunately I have already promised my brain to my second cousin but all other parts can be considered available to the general public. The only proviso being that the successful recipient must also wear my ears .This is in the hope my friends might still recognise me in the street.

I was going to ask about your gonads but would prefer the wheelbarrow if possible please:flowers:

15 hours ago, WTF said:

a doctor making things up, who'd have guessed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwizutqln-PrAhWfUhUIHX7kBnwQFjABegQICxAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnhsbtmediaservices.blob.core.windows.net%2Forgan-donation-assets%2Fpdfs%2FOrgan_Donation_Registry_Fact_Sheet_7_21337.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2ehg3wxVCMXJ2uKkjw9qOQ

Like I said, I was right.  Headline figure is £240,000 saving of kidney transplant compared with dialysis over a 10 year period, which is the median survivorship of a transplanted kidney.

55 minutes ago, wrighty said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwizutqln-PrAhWfUhUIHX7kBnwQFjABegQICxAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnhsbtmediaservices.blob.core.windows.net%2Forgan-donation-assets%2Fpdfs%2FOrgan_Donation_Registry_Fact_Sheet_7_21337.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2ehg3wxVCMXJ2uKkjw9qOQ

Like I said, I was right.  Headline figure is £240,000 saving of kidney transplant compared with dialysis over a 10 year period, which is the median survivorship of a transplanted kidney.

good news ,  that's kidneys priced up then,  what about hearts that don't have dialysis treatments at 35k a year ?

Archived