Formula 1 championship title

war baby

I realise F1 has dropped off the radar on MF, but I think Lewis Hamilton deserves a mention for having notched up his 7th world title.  A major requirement of winning is to be in the best car at the right time.  He has done that.  No doubt if Ferrari up their game he will move again in future.

Nobody has ever won multiple world championships in anything but the best car. Schumacher wouldn't even allow competition from his team mate. The stage was set for verstappen to win last weekend. In the best car for those conditions. He blew it, has a long long way to go to reach Hamilton's level, he's nowhere near.

Edited by the stinking enigma

16 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Nobody has ever won multiple world championships in anything but the best car. Schumacher wouldn't even allow competition from his team mate. The stage was set for verstappen to win last weekend. In the best car for those conditions. He blew it, has a long long way to go to reach Hamilton's level, he's nowhere near.

Is the Red Bull the best car for those conditions? It appears to be a borderline undriveable car for anyone except Verstappen. Everyone else they put it in flounders.

It's a funny thing, F1. Winning increases your funding and ability to hire the best brains, making you more likely to win. There's no doubt Hamilton is an impressive driver, but I do think if the whole grid were equal cars he wouldn't be winning every race. Podium probably, but not winning.

40 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It's a funny thing, F1. Winning increases your funding and ability to hire the best brains, making you more likely to win. There's no doubt Hamilton is an impressive driver, but I do think if the whole grid were equal cars he wouldn't be winning every race. Podium probably, but not winning.

I don't entirely agree with that but it certainly it not always a guarantee of success when the rules change.  Historically you only have to look at how quickly Williams dropped down the pack once the electronics were banned.

The manufacturers teams are generally better protected though hence why Ferrari has been around for so long and generally at the top.

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

I think he would be world champion more often than not in equal cars. The red bull is always the better car in those conditions. Every race is a one off to verstappen, he's never yet had the pressure of fighting for the championship. Hamilton would win races in any era.

I do think Hamilton would likely win the championship in equal cars, but it'd be a close run thing. Verstappen's raw pace is incredible. There's a lot of talent further down the field that could challenge in equal cars too. Heck, Russell gets an incredible amount out of that lame duck Williams.

If I were to make a spurious and unfounded claim on a top 5 finishers in equal cars (not necessarily in order):
Hamilton, Verstappen, LeClerc, Gasly, Sainz. With Norris, Ocon and DannyRic not far behind.

Experience counts for a huge amount in racing and Hamilton now has that in spades.  He could have had the title in his rookie year, but blew it.  In equal cars today he would still be on top.  Verstappen has an unpredictable streak of red mist still hampering his vision, but he's inspired when it clears.  DannyRic lacks the essential talent to sign the right contract and get a winning car.  Norris and Russell are good, but need years more yet.  There is a host of new talent.  Alonso will be a bit of fun next year!.

I am glad a few of you on MF still keep up.

On 11/18/2020 at 7:04 PM, war baby said:

Experience counts for a huge amount in racing and Hamilton now has that in spades.  He could have had the title in his rookie year, but blew it.  In equal cars today he would still be on top.  Verstappen has an unpredictable streak of red mist still hampering his vision, but he's inspired when it clears.  DannyRic lacks the essential talent to sign the right contract and get a winning car.  Norris and Russell are good, but need years more yet.  There is a host of new talent.  Alonso will be a bit of fun next year!.

I am glad a few of you on MF still keep up.

Hamilton is still the biggest baby ever in F1. Great driver, but a petulant child.

• 3 weeks later...

It didn't do Bottas any favours did it?  A driver who has spent most of the season at the back of the pack with Williams can be put straight into an identical car and outperform him.

It just highlights what a difference there is between the cars at the front and the back of the field.  It would be interesting to see Russell and Hamilton in the same team for sure.  

One final point...  How did Mercedes mess up that pit stop so badly?  You have to feel for Russell after his performance over the whole weekend.