Formula 1 championship title

war baby

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

I think it came on hamilton a bit quick but verstappen could have avoided that crash. 

Sure, but you can say that about almost any crash regardless of how little fault the other person has - but it's not the job of the other party to take avoiding action based on what could happen, they have to assume the other car will behave mostly predictably.

He could avoid it by yielding position before the corner, but it is a race... if Hamilton had made the apex there wouldn't have been a collision, but he didn't slow down enough to get there and was rightly penalised for it. I'm not the biggest Verstappen fan (I think he's an incredible talent, but he comes off a bit arrogant), but I can't take issue with his driving of late.

Mostly waiting for Lando and George to start winning to get excited about F1 properly again though.

6 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

It would seem most of the other drivers see it as a racing incident. 

Only seen comments from a couple of them. I'm not suggesting it was intentional, but the penalty concurs with the rules - Hamilton missed his line and was the majority cause of a crash.

• Like 1

Racing incident IMHO.

We WANT wheel to wheel racing, both could probably have avoided the incident but both were motivated to win and not concede an inch. Collateral damage that could have gone either way.

• Like 1

If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.

The late, great Ayrton Senna.  Hamilton and Verstappen were actually racing.  Shame they crashed because its that type of wheel to wheel stuff thats exciting. 

I find all the pit stop tactics dull.  I want to see racing on the track for position not just overlaps and underlaps or whatever they are called.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Copse corner at Silverstone is always a battleground when a race is being hotly contested.  That is where I first saw motor racing as a nipper and what eventually inspired me to have a go myself.  You have to get out of it well as the fast sweeps from Maggots to Chapel come next.  The Hamilton vs. Verstappen crash was a simple racing incident, nothing more.  Lewis went for the gap, Max squeezed it a bit.  It happens.  No reason for Horner, white lipped with rage, to sound off.  Expect more of it from these guys this weekend, its good to see.

This was the result of a similar battle in 1955.  Ken Wharton barrel rolled to the outside and the Vanwall burst into flames.  Exciting stuff for a school kid to see.  I am one of the dots in the crowd safe protected behind the straw bales!  The race carried on regardless, of course.

360519137_Wharton1955Silverstone.thumb.jpg.ac6f9e4c70627d351670cb1e34173c8b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you are out of the habit of watching F1 on TV, yesterday's Italian Grand Prix at Monza should win you back.  (Spoiler alert!)  If you are out of touch, Hamilton and Verstappen have been slugging it out within a point or two of each other all season long.

With just eight races left this season, the challenge is becoming hotter each time.  Max could win his first ever title, Hamilton could confirm his place as the greatest F1 driver of all time.  Yesterday we witnessed neither driver scoring a point, as once again an untimely lunge took them both out.  I blame the Red Bull driver, as did the stewards.

The best news of the day was that the super talented George Russell finally gets confirmed as replacement for Bottas at Mercedes.  This means that if Lewis does not achieve his target eighth title this year, he will have at least two serious challengers in 2022, maybe more if Lando Norris keeps up his front running pace.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't like a thing about the bloke, but I have to admit he's a worthy 7x champion. He has fire and fight when he needs it, fabulous car control and usually the wisdom to pick his fights (and moments). Guy's a class driver.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a busy few weeks both on and off the island, but despite this, do try to check out the last couple of F1 races.  Russia went from almost certain triumph for the hugely talented Lando, to a damp squib, literally.  Nail biting stuff.

Turkey produced yet another epic race and an unusual podium for recent times with a first-time winner. 

Unless you hate wheels, you simply cannot call the 2021 season boring.