Formula 1 championship title

war baby

33 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It didn't do Bottas any favours did it?  A driver who has spent most of the season at the back of the pack with Williams can be put straight into an identical car and outperform him.

It just highlights what a difference there is between the cars at the front and the back of the field.  It would be interesting to see Russell and Hamilton in the same team for sure.  

One final point...  How did Mercedes mess up that pit stop so badly?  You have to feel for Russell after his performance over the whole weekend.

Bottas had his fair share of misfortune this race, not least of which was having one of the best talents on the grid be put into a car next to him. The car is clearly exceptional, but so is Russell. Incredible drive given his lack of experience in the car. Though his talent was on show at Williams too, particularly his use of track limits and lines to extract the most out of that car.

Feel terrible for the luck (or lack thereof!) Russell had that race, but what an incredible race he drove inbetween those events.

A lot of talk about Mercedes purposely fluffing the tyres/pits, as it would look ridiculous if Russell had just hopped into a new car and won the race. 

I don't generally subscribe to these conspiracy theories, but knowing what F1 team orders can do, I genuinely wouldn't be suprised if it was true. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

A lot of talk about Mercedes purposely fluffing the tyres/pits, as it would look ridiculous if Russell had just hopped into a new car and won the race. 

I don't generally subscribe to these conspiracy theories, but knowing what F1 team orders can do, I genuinely wouldn't be suprised if it was true. 

If that theory is right then they were also willing to damage Bottas's chances as he was held up for a long time as well.

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

When it's a choice between F**kup and conspiracy - it's usually F**kup

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

If that theory is right then they were also willing to damage Bottas's chances as he was held up for a long time as well.

2 hours ago, kevster said:

When it's a choice between F**kup and conspiracy - it's usually F**kup

True, true.  I know it's unlikely a conspiracy, accidents happen, but it just seems very coincidental.  I don't remember a team ever screwing up a tyre change to such a spectacular level (short of not actually attaching a wheel).  Especially probably the slickest team of the lot. 

Unfortunately, I think Bottas has demonstrated he's not exactly up to speed. 

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

True, true.  I know it's unlikely a conspiracy, accidents happen, but it just seems very coincidental.  I don't remember a team ever screwing up a tyre change to such a spectacular level (short of not actually attaching a wheel).  Especially probably the slickest team of the lot. 

Unfortunately, I think Bottas has demonstrated he's not exactly up to speed. 

I can't see anyway that such a professional outfits with millions of pounds at stake (as well as a worldwide reputation) would even risk such a thing as messing up on purpose.

As with most conspiracy theories, there are so many people involved that at least one of them would offer to spill the beans to the media for a suitable financial remuneration.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, HeliX said:

Bottas had his fair share of misfortune this race, not least of which was having one of the best talents on the grid be put into a car next to him. The car is clearly exceptional, but so is Russell. Incredible drive given his lack of experience in the car. Though his talent was on show at Williams too, particularly his use of track limits and lines to extract the most out of that car.

Feel terrible for the luck (or lack thereof!) Russell had that race, but what an incredible race he drove inbetween those events.

It's more a sign of how far the car is ahead of the rest and the generally average level of the grid these days in respect of drivers.   

3 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It's more a sign of how far the car is ahead of the rest and the generally average level of the grid these days in respect of drivers.   

It might be, but Russell is a brilliant driver. He consistently outperforms his rubbish car at Williams. Is clearly at least as fast as Bottas (probably considerably faster).

The car is, no doubt, the best one on the grid. But Russell is championship challenger material in any competitive car.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anybody else on MF still follow F1 or is it just me?  If you watch last weekend's Azerbaijan GP I do not think it will disappoint.  You can skip forward to lap 30ish.  Don't give up until the very end, either of them!