Can't get you out of my head - Adam Curtis

TheTeapot

Self indulgent, slow, incoherent, overlong. 

Why things are the way they are? Because we made them so. That appears to be his thesis, but it’s hard to discern any logical thought. 

We are anxious, he claims, subject to conspiracy theories and god knows what because those in power, and those over whom they exercise power, are complicit in making it so.

No shit, Sherlock!

Its all Adam Curtis saying “look at me aren’t I great putting this together”. Well, no. And it could have been said in 10 minutes, not 8 hours.

His overwhelming individualism winning in a world where he says individualism has failed or, at least, caused uncertainty, and no faith in the future.

He’s right, we need big ideas to believe in and aspire to. He’s right we don’t have any on which society is currently agreed. But he doesn’t offer up any real ideas or analysis of why not, or even offer up what might be offered up.

I’ll never get the time back I wasted on this. It’s a liberals conspiracy theory  about his perception of an alleged  failure of western liberalism.

Total bollocks. And 6 episodes is 7 too many.

The Trap is absolutely my favourite Adam Curtis film, its an absolute assault on your mind. It had a big impact on me when I first watched it, and I've watched it several times since. It played into my natural skeptism of people who want to be in charge, and my cynicism of how things are. It's a wonderful 3 hours. 

I need some fucking weed.

You might like his film Bitter Lake Quilp, looks a lot more into the middle east and afganistan and the associated chaos of the last 100 years. There's an amazing clip with a Saudi prince/minister (I can't quite remember) buried in it, he does an evil smile you'd expect to find in a cartoon talking about the balance of power during the 70's oil crisis.

I get why he rubs people up the wrong way, he makes some pretty bold statements sometimes, while leaving some other ambiguous. It's helpful I think to view his work as art more than journalism, sit back and enjoy the show and don't watch looking for answers, but instead find the questions.

It's been half term so I've been a bit too busy to watch much of this new series, but I have some time today so gonna settle down with some wine and get stuck in I reckon.

Is anybody taking this political satire seriously ? I've only got halfway through the first episode of CGYOOMH and it reminds me of the style of Chris Morris - The Day Today. In places it's even like Philomena Cunk's (Diane Morgan) grand narratives of history. The BBC voiceover in the style of Michael Palin is hilarious, and we 'learn' of the key role played by a Chinese actress in the 1930s (Shanghai Lil ?); a touring Soviet troupe of ballet dancers; the sex lives of Chinese revolutionaries; and a rich cast of characters. Rich fodder for conspiracy nuts...

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Is anybody taking this political satire seriously ? I've only got halfway through the first episode of CGYOOMH and it reminds me of the style of Chris Morris - The Day Today. In places it's even like Philomena Cunk's (Diane Morgan) grand narratives of history. The BBC voiceover in the style of Michael Palin is hilarious, and we 'learn' of the key role played by a Chinese actress in the 1930s (Shanghai Lil ?); a touring Soviet troupe of ballet dancers; the sex lives of Chinese revolutionaries; and a rich cast of characters. Rich fodder for conspiracy nuts...

I’m glad I’m not alone in finding it risible

Archived