Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

They race out Jurby to stay out of your way and you're still gobbing off. I'm glad I'm not you.

And how many times do they get in my way?

Barely a weekend goes by without some road or other being closed to kow tow to these Lycra louts.

I suspect you’d be a lot better  off being me. Shame you will never get the chance.

46 minutes ago, Declan said:

Must be easy to vote in Jurby. Just don't vote for the four that nominated eachother and the one who got the bike race cancelled and whoever remains is the council.

Some extraordinary defamatory posts on Jurby Community FB page. Seems some real poison there.

13 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

He's just saying that

nothing has changed

Yeah, 

"everything possible to ensure everyone is able to cast their vote" = nothing. 

Mealy-mouthed toerag.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

He's just saying that

nothing has changed

And so it proved:

Self-isolating people can't vote in local elections

Wednesday, July 21st, 2021 11:10pm

The Government has confirmed people self-isolating will not be able to vote in tomorrow's local authority elections.

A statement from Infrastructure Minister Tim Baker says the department has 'looked at all the options that are legally possible', but 'have had to accept that it was not possible to find a solution that was legal, workable and effective'.

Elections will take place in seven of the Island's 21 local authorities.

Polls open from 8am to 8pm.

The full statement from Mr Baker:

“My Department has looked at all the options that are legally possible and it has worked with the local authority staff who have responsibility for running the elections to understand the operational issues that they are facing. Clearly, anything that is introduced at this very late stage has to be easy to implement by returning officers, clear to the public and legally sound. 

“Any legal change would have had to be approved by Tynwald before the polling stations open at 8am tomorrow, Election Day. We kept looking at the possibilities until the last moment but have had to accept that it was not possible to find a solution that was legal, workable and effective.”

“The elections will go ahead as planned in those areas where seats are being contested.”

If only the DoI had some way of knowing that the local elections would be held today they might have been able to organise something.  And if only Tynwald had been sitting this week on Tuesday or Wednesday they would have been able to make some arrangements to cope.

(Because this has already appeared in the UK media as a problem, I suspect this will not be the end of things).

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Declan said:

Sadly that's a local group for local people. Are you able to expand?

I hear some guy was refused planning permission by central Planning and has been vilifying local commissioners who are not standing for election this time to the new board. I expect lawyers will be involved. But it verges on psychosis.

• Like 1