Villa Marina walkway

Passing Time

3 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Good news is that the plans were rejected. One small step for mankind etc etc

Jaks somehow has a lot of sway with the authorities, even though it often appears in the newspapers so regularly under the court reports. They also managed to get 3:30am opening at weekends along with the other doyen of Douglas night life, 1886. 

The Jaks business model and their clientele should not be allowed to extend to the Villa Gaiety area. That would be taking the lowest common denominator too far, albeit a clearly business lucrative one.

1 minute ago, AOR said:

Jaks somehow has a lot of sway with the authorities, even though it often appears in the newspapers so regularly under the court reports. They also managed to get 3:30am opening at weekends along with the other doyen of Douglas night life, 1886. 

The Jaks business model and their clientele should not be allowed to extend to the Villa Gaiety area. That would be taking the lowest common denominator too far, albeit a clearly business lucrative one.

They don't have that much sway. Government planning has rejected it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

They don't have that much sway. Government planning has rejected it

Yep of course. Praise be to the powers that be for standing up to them. I just kind of got the idea that the application was typically audacious.

a few appeals and some more money spent with the lawyers and the planning department one way or another and it will happen,  planning just have to look like and pretend they are trying to stop it before they eventually and happily  fold to capitalism.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Wow.  What does the world look like from up there on your judgey pedestal?

As it happens we ate in Jaks on Friday, was back in as part of a night out on Saturday and again yesterday afternoon to watch Man Utd get thrashed.

My lowest common denominator companions over the weekend included my work mates on Friday, my Mrs and some mutual friends on Saturday and my brother an nephews yesterday.

All perfectly respectable and successful people in their own fields including a few that would probably be classed as high flyers and a senior Police officer.

I think the Jak's type restaurants are fine but a bit unsuitable for the colonnade? Having said that, the whole thing is a bloody muddle and could have been a nice feature of the promenade. The money spent on it has been wasted, it could have been restored to its original state with more suitable tenants attracted to make it a proper relaxing destination.  

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

I was thinking instruments. Somewhere young aspiring musicians can hang around in on a rainy saturday chatting about guitars, drums, etc., looking for inspiration. Like when I were a lad...

Dont think there is. Even basics like guitar strings are not easy to source. Think somewhere in Pt Erin might do them. When I was a 'lad' there was Music Box and Rushworth and Drapers on Victoria Street . Didn't Ray Norman and Terry Clough have a outlet too ? . 

17 minutes ago, quilp said:

I was thinking instruments. Somewhere young aspiring musicians can hang around in on a rainy saturday chatting about guitars, drums, etc., looking for inspiration. Like when I were a lad...

When I buy new reeds for my sax, I have to get them online.

13 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

When I buy new reeds for my sax, I have to get them online.

Same for sticks, skins and cymbals.

Terry Clough and Ray Norman ran the Island Music Centre in Duke Street with Ken Dove. Some Saturday afternoons it would be rammed and abuzz in there with youngsters trying out various instruments and looking starry-eyed at those who could actually play. And occasionally meet someone who was actually famous.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, quilp said:

Same for sticks, skins and cymbals.

Terry Clough and Ray Norman ran the Island Music Centre in Duke Street with Ken Dove. Some Saturday afternoons it would be rammed and abuzz in there with youngsters trying out various instruments and looking starry-eyed at those who could actually play. And occasionally meet someone who was actually famous.

Gotta say both Ray and Terry were superstar musicians in their own rights.

They not only offered a place to get your kit from, ( bought, what were at the time a couple of Sure SM58's, considered great anti-feedback vocalist mic's, still are) but also offered honest, with no unnecessary upsell advice on REALLY what you needed .

Both were simply genuine people.

Got to know Ray really well, especially when he had the Hotel on upper Finch Road with a lovely little bar that had, shall we call it a 'liberal' opening policy with no overcharging on Sunday afternoons, when all us so called 'weekend entertainers' had time out to relax.

Miss those times of being part of 'the gang'

• Like 2