Alf's latest vision

Moghrey Mie

Alf says: 

We will achieve this through a significant £1bn long term public and private investment programme – investing in our people, our economy, our Island and our public services to secure 5,000 new jobs and a £10bn economy with infrastructure that can support 100,000 Island residents over the next fifteen years, with appropriate incentives / disincentives to achieve targeted and sustainable population growth.  

Is it achievable. ? Will future Governments support it ?

10 minutes ago, Apple said:

Alf says: 

We will achieve this through a significant £1bn long term public and private investment programme – investing in our people, our economy, our Island and our public services to secure 5,000 new jobs and a £10bn economy with infrastructure that can support 100,000 Island residents over the next fifteen years, with appropriate incentives / disincentives to achieve targeted and sustainable population growth.  

Is it achievable. ? Will future Governments support it ?

All pie in the sky and horse shit. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1) Where's the £1BN coming from  precisely? Have they asked any investors yet?

2) How much of that £1BN will actually make it into the infrastructure and services after the consultants and other vultures have had their fill first?

• Like 5

Its bold, its ambitious, and I think Alf thinks his Government can and will support....

...and it drowns out the problems the UK and we (although for different reasons) are experiencing. Can't really fault him for that.....Its his job.

59 minutes ago, Apple said:

Its bold, its ambitious, and I think Alf thinks his Government can and will support....

...and it drowns out the problems the UK and we (although for different reasons) are experiencing. Can't really fault him for that.....Its his job.

But he hasn't drawn it up just signed it off. Do you think he really understands the magnitude of whats being suggested. Also with such a mostly inept government around him I'm really not convinced its remotely achievable . How did his predecessor's 5 year plan go along with the 85,000 trees ?. Lots of soundbites and buzz words but little understanding how in reality it will happen. 

Just read the above post re Health and social care. That was part of HQ's 5 year plan. So clearly he failed miserably with similar aims .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

You always need a plan, it's just a shame we don't have the basics right! What's the hope of getting anything ambitious right?

Over the past few days I have driven around the island quite a bit and the overall impression is one of decay and lack of responsibility! From Port Erin to Ramsey there are neglected buildings and shops, grimy walls and rubbish, wheelie bins of all sizes and all in prominent locations. I wouldn't invite anyone to visit this place. It seems that we don't have councils or commissioners who feel that keeping on top of things is their responsibility? 

I was particularly disappointed with Port Erin, it looks as though it's on its last legs. 

• Thanks 1