Shouting in the street!

Max Power

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

This immediately reminded me of 'Bah' who used to stand in shop doorways in the 70s, wearing his long mac and a cap, hollering at passers by! He was a bit of a tourist attraction, and sometimes would greet holidaymakers as they arrived off the boat with his trademark welcome...BAH!  

I remember Bah, quite the local character. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I remember Bah, quite the local character. 

He was once told to shut up by Valerie Singleton from her bedroom window in the Villiers, a foul mouthed shoutfest ensued, even Bah got a few "f's" an Jef's" in when Val paused for breath, 0630 hrs as i recall.----No BP badge for you mate 😬

My old fella told the tale that Bah suffered severe head injuries as a child by being run over by a horse and carriage, the owner paid his father substancial damages and poppa was never seen again on Mona, an oul tale could be bollox of course 🙄

Edited by mollag
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, forestboy said:

Think his name was ‘Ducker’ Johnson. 

Ducker was sound. He used to shave his head though, which was seen as an absolute outrage in the 1970s (skin 'eads and all that) but commonplace these days of course.

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

There was a nutter in Strand St randomly shouting at a passers by the other day. I’ve seen him do it a few times now. Normally stands outside TX Maxx. Not sure if it’s the same guy here but hardly something for the police if it is. He’s just a harmless crackpot. 

I heard someone shouting very loudly a few weeks ago, it was around the Villa Marina Broadway junction area, it was early in the morning l was walking my dog on the beach, it took me by surprised but l couldn't actually see anyone.

27 minutes ago, mollag said:

He was once told to shut up by Valerie Singleton from her bedroom window in the Villiers, a foul mouthed shoutfest ensued, even Bah got a few "f's" an Jef's" in when Val paused for breath, 0630 hrs as i recall.----No BP badge for you mate 😬

My old fella told the tale that Bah suffered severe head injuries as a child by being run over by a horse and carriage, the owner paid his father substancial damages and poppa was never seen again on Mona, an oul tale could be bollox of course 🙄

There was a tale that he got his head jammed in the cellar ramp during a beer delivery to Yate's Wine Lodge, again could be bollox!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There was a tale that he got his head jammed in the cellar ramp during a beer delivery to Yate's Wine Lodge, again could be bollox!

That is the problem with old people, they make stuff up, they did not actually see the events themselves nor have video evidence so they exaggerate and tell tales and try to glorify the old days when they were young but life was much more shit then, it really was

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I heard a very similar story.  Difference was that Yates's had some sort of lift to take beer down from pavement level to the cellar and he got his head jammed in that.

(I was also told that the lift was powered by the tide.  Now that could well be bollox although the old swimming pool round the corner was sea water wasn't it?)

9 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I heard a very similar story.  Difference was that Yates's had some sort of lift to take beer down from pavement level to the cellar and he got his head jammed in that.

(I was also told that the lift was powered by the tide.  Now that could well be bollox although the old swimming pool round the corner was sea water wasn't it?)

That's it, I was trying to think whether they had a lift contraption or not but what you mention is the same as I heard, and not from an old person, at least they weren't when they told me! ;) 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I believe it was.  The pools were just a little further up on Victoria Street from Yates, between the Regal Cinema and Yates's as I recall.  Went swimming there a few times.  I think the building was converted to a bank (Celtic Bank?) and the rumour was that the pools were used as the bank vaults being very secure under sea level.  

ETA Like much else benefitting Douglas, they were Noble's Baths. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That's it, I was trying to think whether they had a lift contraption or not but what you mention is the same as I heard, and not from an old person, at least they weren't when they told me! ;) 

The person who told me must have been about 25 at the time.  He was then probably one of the more academically highly qualified employees of IOMG and was not in the habit of making up stories - unless work required it!  (We spent a lot of time in the Bowling Green, Albion and Dogs' though so he might well have made it up... )

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I believe it was.  The pools were just a little further up on Victoria Street from Yates, between the Regal Cinema and Yates's as I recall.  Went swimming there a few times.  I think the building was converted to a bank (Celtic Bank?) and the rumour was that the pools were used as the bank vaults being very secure under sea level.  

ETA Like much else benefitting Douglas, they were Noble's Baths. 

I learned to swim there Thursday mornings from primary school.  Wonderful interior which I was far too young to appreciate at the time.  Then we used to catch the bus back to school.  I can still remember the old bus station and getting hot chocolate from the drinks machine inside the waiting room.  Put me off vending machines for life.  Bus station looked like a stranded alien space ship from a 50s sci-fi film.  Should have been better looked after.

It was The Regal cinema was it?  For some reason I was trying to remember the name a few weeks ago and I couldn't place it.

What was the cinema on Walpole Avenue called?  I can remember going to see Young Frankenstein there when it came out.  Much better film than Blazing Saddles.  Frau Blucher made me a Cloris Leachman fan for ever...  😆

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I learned to swim there Thursday mornings from primary school.  Wonderful interior which I was far too young to appreciate at the time.  Then we used to catch the bus back to school.  I can still remember the old bus station and getting hot chocolate from the drinks machine inside the waiting room.  Put me off vending machines for life.  Bus station looked like a stranded alien space ship from a 50s sci-fi film.  Should have been better looked after.

It was The Regal cinema was it?  For some reason I was trying to remember the name a few weeks ago and I couldn't place it.

What was the cinema on Walpole Avenue called?  I can remember going to see Young Frankenstein there when it came out.  Much better film than Blazing Saddles.  Frau Blucher made me a Cloris Leachman fan for ever...  😆

It was the Royalty on Walpole Ave.  Only open during the summer, I think.  The interior was like a medieval castle. It later became the forerunner of B& B furniture, and was a strange mix of furniture and DIY stuff as I recall. 

Yes Noble's had a fantastic interior, in retrospect,  but wasted on me as a child like you.  I remember there was one pool which was allegedly closed because it was infected with polio, which all made perfect sense to a 7 year old! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1