Report on Youth Justice

Moghrey Mie

On 2/22/2023 at 1:00 PM, Zarley said:

Ok, if you want to look at it from the "worker bee" perspective, then you could say...

Part of being good worker bees is producing more worker bees who contribute to the hive in positive ways, rather than detracting from the hive through crime and anti-social behaviour. 

We should be teaching all of the above. Civics (how government is supposed to work) as well. 

Who's talking about crime and antisocial behaviour? I'm talking about schools teaching more simple life skill's. Maybe changing the subject to your own thoughts is antisocial behaviour. And teaching Civics, maybe someone should teach the high up Civil servants and MHK's first. 

On 2/22/2023 at 1:10 PM, Moghrey Mie said:

I'm not convinced that teachers are the right people to be doing this. They would want to set exams where we really need understanding.

They need to work much more with other agencies such as St John Ambulance and the financial sector. Also there must be lots of online short courses that students can work through on their own.

Your probably right that about the teachers, but why do you need exams on subject like how to fill a tax return in or how to balance your bank account. Maybe is should be the parents job but the problem arises when the parents don't know and then the kids just follow down the same path of ignorance.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 6:31 PM, Harry Lamb said:

And apostrophes and abbreviations?

Wow GraMmar police are in,, sorry I do my best, I'm dyslexic and had a shit time at school because they thought I was stupid and put me in the bottom class’s and left with no qualifications. I since have gained a HND in engineering after I was taught by engineers that saw my talent for maths. If I’m not concentrating I still wright my B’s and D’s the wrong way round and my N’s back to front.  So be careful I might become all woke and be offended.

Dyslexic’s are teople poo !!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Thorulf said:

You're probably right that about the teachers, but why do you need exams on subject like how to fill a tax return in or how to balance your bank account. Maybe is should be the parents job but the problem arises when the parents don't know and then the kids just follow down the same path of ignorance.

Do we think the IOM government is serious about understanding youth crime and dealing with it in a positive way? Or is this just another report that says it is difficult and involves many different agencies. I don't see any real policy around young people. 

We keep saying we are a small island that can do its own thing. But somehow we are not all that inventive. 

There must be a very small number of young people who need help.

In Scotland they are trying the Icelandic model. https://www.winningscotland.org/planetyouth.html

Edited by Moghrey Mie

What the report highlights is that we had a successful functioning, multi agency, response in place, but funding/budgetary, turf wars, silo mentality, and petty squabbles between police, social workers, care agencies, DESC, DHSC, DHA meant it fell apart.

Thats the scandal, and we are now reaping the after effects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

What the report highlights is that we had a successful functioning, multi agency, response in place, but funding/budgetary, turf wars, silo mentality, and petty squabbles between police, social workers, care agencies, DESC, DHSC, DHA meant it fell apart.

Thats the scandal, and we are now reaping the after effects.

Totally agree. So what now?

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Totally agree. So what now?

Home Affairs and Justice Minister went into detail of government's response in Tynwald last week. Suffice it to say a new model is under active construction.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 1:00 PM, Zarley said:

Ok, if you want to look at it from the "worker bee" perspective, then you could say...

Part of being good worker bees is producing more worker bees who contribute to the hive in positive ways

Sorry I'm going to have to be biologically pedantic.  

Queens produce more worker bees.  Admittedly worker bees will then look after them, like some sort of weird inverted surrogacy. 

Nonetheless you do raise a valid point.  The economic ramifications of declining populations aren't fully understood, but on the face of it would appear to be bad assuming the current economic capitalist models are maintained. 

32 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Home Affairs and Justice Minister went into detail of government's response in Tynwald last week. Suffice it to say a new model is under active construction.

This is part of the problem-'Council of Ministers notes that the Criminal Justice Board is unfunded and has been convened on the co-operation of its members but has no budget and therefore is unable to commission or direct resources. The Community Safety Partnership will be able to seek approval for bids for funding via the Seized Asset Fund but this is limited to in-year initiatives not multiple-year funding.'

But we need funded schemes and actions BEFORE young people get involved in low level crime etc etc.'

Easy access to sports and arts-perhaps with free bus fares.

The opportunity to spend time at outdoor activity centres.(Is Ard Whallin still closed?

Volunteeering on an island-wide basis?

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Is Ard Whallin still closed?

Not sure.  It was Govt run, so probably. 

Good suggestion though.  Quite a few studies helping criminal kids (and various other mental health issues) with outdoor activities.  Although these are usually inner city kids that rarely see anything not made from concrete and steel. 

There are however private options doing the similar things like the Venture Center and Adventurous Experiences that could be utilised assuming they'd be happy to be involved (paid obviously). 

44 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Not sure.  It was Govt run, so probably. 

Good suggestion though.  Quite a few studies helping criminal kids (and various other mental health issues) with outdoor activities.  Although these are usually inner city kids that rarely see anything not made from concrete and steel. 

There are however private options doing the similar things like the Venture Center and Adventurous Experiences that could be utilised assuming they'd be happy to be involved (paid obviously). 

No such thing as 'criminal kids' in my book.

Some of our local kids don't go out into the countryside.

Even a project where they fix up old bikes would be useful.

https://thebristolbikeproject.org/community/earn-a-bike/

Edited by Moghrey Mie