We Need to Talk About Taxis

germann

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

No it doesn’t. It merely implies that you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about. 

So when you suggest a removal of the maximum fare, you're calling for total deregulation of taxis are you? Or do you just want them to self-regulate that part?

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Absolutely sure, they are free to charge what they feel is fair, up to the maximum set by the RTLC.

So if someone wanted to start running a taxi they could charge what they wanted and undercut the other companies ? How long would they keep their plate ? I don't believe you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I don't believe you.

The later rates are somewhere less easy to find 

https://www.gov.im/media/1352506/taxi-tariff-2017.pdf

They even determine that if anyone shits or pukes in a cab then they can charge them up to £100. It reads like a tariff/statement from Soviet Russia for some state combine of Lada driving comrades. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

6 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You've just shown me the maximum fares. I knew that. 

So if someone states a maximum fare and the labour pool is incredibly tight with enough work for anyone who wants it why would anyone charge less than the prescribed rates? It makes no commercial sense. Basically the RTLC has created a cartel. If it wasn’t there to “regulate” fares and plates, the number of available drivers and cars would increase and fares would simply go down and an Uber service would hoover up. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Haha 2

So someone who retires early, has a good pension, mortgage paid etc, wants to run a small part-time taxi with one self-owned vehicle, just to keep occupied, meet people and have something to get up for. He knows there's a shortage of taxis and he can afford to undercut the other companies and pick and choose his hours etc. He doesn't really need to make a profit as he just wants to provide a service.

Wouldn't he put the other companies out of business ?

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Wouldn't he put the other companies out of business ?

If theres enough work to go round why would anyone undercut anyone else? It would be stupid to do so. Also where would he get his fares from? He’d need to be plugged into the booking system of an operator who would set the rate unless he wants to drive round aimlessly looking for the odd bit of business on a rank. The fact is the RTLC have created a union/communist style system where the plates are hard to get which restricts any new owners coming in to increase capacity and where the rates are basically set by them as they set a maximum rate. If there’s more than enough work going round (which there clearly is) how is anyone incentivized to undercut? 

16 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You're carefully dodging around my point.  

No I’m not at all I’d be interested in what Bazza Smurf has to say but it’s a cartel created by the RTLC created by lack of new plates being issued and a shortage of labour in the labour existing pool. Nobody is going to undercut when there’s more than enough work because they don’t have to. 

If it were a free for all and no limit on the numbers of taxis, particularly around Douglas, there would end up being a lot of undercutting and eventually a price war. This would surely result in a lot of cabs disappearing as it wouldn't cover their costs. So there must be a limit on licences to obtain a balance surely.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So if someone wanted to start running a taxi they could charge what they wanted and undercut the other companies ? How long would they keep their plate ? I don't believe you.

If you read the tariff issued by the RTLC which is an official document, it says Maximum Fare.  

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

If you read the tariff issued by the RTLC which is an official document, it says Maximum Fare.  

Right then. I'm retired now, on a pension, and I fancy doing something. I've got a vehicle and I'm going into the low cost taxi business. Just me. I'll halve the fares and offer a cheap and reliable service. I'm not bothered about the Maximum Fare tariff - I won't be charging them. I'm applying for a plate. Will I get one ?  

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Right then. I'm retired now, on a pension, and I fancy doing something. I've got a vehicle and I'm going into the low cost taxi business. Just me. I'll halve the fares and offer a cheap and reliable service. I'm not bothered about the Maximum Fare tariff - I won't be charging them. I'm applying for a plate. Will I get one ?  

NO 😢

• Haha 1