Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

17 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I really hope you are right John because a lot of people in the sheltered housing complex use Onchan it is virtually next door and they just walk down the lane and the staff there are great.

I’m going by what they announced 4 months ago and what was said to me when I had dinner with a visiting executive from Hemel head office about a month ago.

Someone I’ve known for many years and who I’ve no reason to disbelieve.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, IOM said:

. And you still can’t get away from the fact that shoppers at Lake Road  and online are also victims having had a 5% price hike on a vast number of products without having anything to show for it ! 

is there a B side to this record ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

is there a B side to this record ?

Why does there have to be a B side ? I don’t understand why some posters don’t seem bothered that their good groceries are costing a lot more . I commented about the Express store and  Lake Road pricing . I carried out analysis to demonstrate this and help people understand. Perhaps you might like to explain what you have done to help people ? 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

Why does there have to be a B side ? I don’t understand why some posters don’t seem bothered that their good groceries are costing a lot more . I commented about the Express store and  Lake Road pricing . I carried out analysis to demonstrate this and help people understand. Perhaps you might like to explain what you have done to help people ? 

no then , cheers  😁

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, IOM said:

You mean you confirm you have done nothing to help people understand the problem? 

problem ?   you whimpering on ad nauseum to the same audience isn't going to change anything , or the record apparently. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

problem ?   you whimpering on ad nauseum to the same audience isn't going to change anything , or the record apparently. 

Since when was it whimpering ? And you mean me stating a clearly demonstrable fact is not as relevant as you bleating on about a racing car bought from some shop under a thread titled Tesco buy Shoprite? 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, IOM said:

Although you have shown some interesting pricing issues, you are also forgetting that people, mostly, do shop judiciously and take advantage of offers and cheaper brands.  Have said many times people will soon see the difference in their shopping bill and adjust their habits accordingly.

Also, as John says, let's see how things settle once the new stores are fully integrated into Tesco systems.

Up the upside, Lake Road was gloriously 'normal' today, spaces in the car park and short queues at the checkout. 

Edited by Gladys
Stooped typo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, IOM said:

Since when was it whimpering ? And you mean me stating a clearly demonstrable fact is not as relevant as you bleating on about a racing car bought from some shop under a thread titled Tesco buy Shoprite? 

i only mentioned it ONCE

• Haha 1

Just now, Gladys said:

Although you have shown some interesting pricing issues, you are also forgetting that people, mostly, do shop judiciously and take advantage of offers and cheaper brands.  Have said many times people will soon see the difference in their shopping bill and adjust their habits accordingly.

Also, as John says, let's see how things settle once the new stores are fully integrated into Tesco systems.

Up the upside, Lake Road was gloriously 'normal' today, spaces in the car park and short cues at the checkout. 

I have never disputed that Tesco have Club card offers and Aldi price match . But the more people get to know about what is happening to the price of their groceries the better perhaps it will encourage them to shop around . It might be a repeat message but I think there was a retailer who once said  “ tell them what is happening and when you have told them tell them again “ !!!!! For what it’s worth the point about pricing is surely more relevant than making some silly remark about security guards dragging people into Castletown store 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, IOM said:

The problem is you say you’ve checked random items from the huge number stocked at Tesco and found this 5% discrepancy. There’s always been a differential on some items, but not 5%. Some offers don’t apply here, or in Northern Ireland, and some items have different pricing in Wales or Scotland due to differences in legislation. You don’t appear to have been bothered before the takeover.

Of course I’m concerned if prices go up.

But when I’ve price checked, with either Lancaster or Barrow,  on my weekly shop basket, so not a random selection, but what I actually purchase, the difference on a £60 to £120 shop, depending whether I’m on my own or not, restocking dry goods etc, the difference on 40-60 items has been less than £1.

And, no, I don’t deliberately search for Aldi Price Match or 3 for 2 or other club card deals. Although I might buy a months worth of dry goods if I see a special on something I use regularly, like £11.00 reduced to £7, that I saw this week. Mind you it was £8 reduced to £6 2 years ago, and £7 reduced to £5 before covid. 

I’d shop in exactly the same way if I was in shop. I do check prices, offers, but understand I am in a lucky position to be able buy things I want without having to penny pinch.

Ive no loyalty to Tesco. If M&S did home food delivery, or we had a Booths, I’d use them in preference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, IOM said:

I have never disputed that Tesco have Club card offers and Aldi price match . But the more people get to know about what is happening to the price of their groceries the better perhaps it will encourage them to shop around . It might be a repeat message but I think there was a retailer who once said  “ tell them what is happening and when you have told them tell them again “ !!!!! For what it’s worth the point about pricing is surely more relevant than making some silly remark about security guards dragging people into Castletown store 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes, but as I keep saying people know as soon as they pay at the checkout what has happened to prices, assuming that most go around just chucking stuff in the trolley. You can check before you reach the checkout if you either use the scanner or keep a tally, so it shoukd not be a shock. 

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The problem is you say you’ve checked random items from the huge number stocked at Tesco and found this 5% discrepancy. There’s always been a differential on some items, but not 5%. Some offers don’t apply here, or in Northern Ireland, and some items have different pricing in Wales or Scotland due to differences in legislation. You don’t appear to have been bothered before the takeover.

Of course I’m concerned if prices go up.

But when I’ve price checked, with either Lancaster or Barrow,  on my weekly shop basket, so not a random selection, but what I actually purchase, the difference on a £60 to £120 shop, depending whether I’m on my own or not, restocking dry goods etc, the difference on 40-60 items has been less than £1.

And, no, I don’t deliberately search for Aldi Price Match or 3 for 2 or other club card deals. Although I might buy a months worth of dry goods if I see a special, like £11.00 reduced to £7, that I saw this week. I’d shop in exactly the same way if I was in shop. I do check prices, offers, but understand I am in a lucky position to be able buy things I want without having to penny pinch.

I was not bothered before the takeover because the level of discrepancy was very low . I don’t know why you keep going on about your shopping list it’s entirely irrelevant if the facts show there are clear demonstrable differences to prices in superstores across . I sent across a whole load of products in earlier posts that clearly show a 5% difference I just don’t get why you dispute it . Nor do I get why so many of you seem so utterly uninterested in the fact that you are now paying a lot more for your groceries it’s just madness ! 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, IOM said:

I just don’t get why you dispute it

Because on my shopping, when I check, it isn’t there. I don’t understand why you don’t seem to grasp that fact, at direct variance/contradiction of what you say.

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

I don’t know why you keep going on about your shopping list it’s entirely irrelevant if the facts show there are clear demonstrable differences to prices in superstores across

Because it is relevant. Directly relevant. For me it’s the only thing that’s relevant. Same, I suspect, for other shoppers. For me the price differences are demonstrably insignificant in my practical experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1