Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

The sale means the number of Tesco stores in the island will be increased to 10, including its existing store in Douglas.

Will this be good for residents?

The stores in question will remain trading as Shoprite during a 'transition period' and will be rebranded to Tesco over the next nine months.

17 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Most island residents will neither know nor care whether this thread is closed or remains open, tbh…

Yeah but those that do probably expect this to have it's own thread rather hidden within a thread about small business closures. But they don't know we've got a fuckwit for a moderator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, darenisepic said:

Will this be good for residents?

I don't think so.  As I suggested on another thread about this pending take-over, we have regressed 25 years to when the Island had the Shoprite monopoly- and there was rejoicing when that was ended by Tesco.  I'm sure that this time next year there will be as much for Aldi, Asda or Lidl moving onto to Tesco's patch.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

Yeah but those that do probably expect this to have it's own thread rather hidden within a thread about small business closures. But they don't know we've got a fuckwit for a moderator.

Poor Albert. He was so proud that he can use the internet. If we leave this thread open won’t it split the conversation? 

47 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

This thread should not be closed - Tesco deserved its own thread.

This will be good for Island residents.

The only island residents this is good for is the Nicholsons, and possibly Mezeron if some rumours are to be believed.

Everyone else will lose out on some way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

Poor Albert. He was so proud that he can use the internet. If we leave this thread open won’t it split the conversation? 

And what's the problem with that? You're not editors, but because you originally made an incorrect editorial decision to fold previous Merger threads into the Firms Closing thread isn't a reason to keep getting it wrong. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Yeah but those that do probably expect this to have it's own thread rather hidden within a thread about small business closures. But they don't know we've got 'a' fuckwit for a moderator.

a ???????    that sounds singular.  😁

1 hour ago, Declan said:

And what's the problem with that? You're not editors, but because you originally made an incorrect editorial decision to fold previous Merger threads into the Firms Closing thread isn't a reason to keep getting it wrong. 

Calm down dear. Have as many threads as you like. I’ve put Songs of Praise on Albert’s YouTube on repeat. He'll be busy for a while. 

2 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

So we having a Lloyds / Clear chemist thread as well?

I'm all for that takeover, as the windows have been replaced and repaired and the building has been painted in Castletown Square as part of it, and it looks a whole load better.

• Like 3