Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

4 hours ago, Declan said:

Yeah but those that do probably expect this to have it's own thread rather hidden within a thread about small business closures. But they don't know we've got a fuckwit for a moderator

You took my tiny, tiny nugget of word humour and made it less funny.   Shame.   Whatever….

24 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

All this outpouring of outrage - how many held out banners for the small shop owners when Shopshite/Tesco/Robinsons opened up. Where are all the individual shops now?

In the interest of accuracy Robinsons history is over 100 years. The great grandmother of the current generation of Horthuises started the business. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

All this outpouring of outrage - how many held out banners for the small shop owners when Shopshite/Tesco/Robinsons opened up. Where are all the individual shops now?

I was very anti Tesco when they came here.

Shoprite were here before I was born.

Robinsons had an amazing shop opposite what is now TK Max when I was a kid.  

There's nothing wrong with obtaining a dominant market position by providing a good product or service and growing your business organically. That's good for consumers!

There might be something wrong with obtaining a dominant market position (an effective monopoly) by acquiring a major competitor. That might cause harm to consumers. In cases where this is a credible risk, the Office of Fair Trading should investigate to examine the proposal. They might then approve the acquisition, or allow it to proceed with some certain rules, or prohibit the acquisition. That's what a healthy government in a normal country would do to ensure that customers are not harmed.

However, we live in the bizarrely corporatist world of the Isle of Man. So the media and apparent Government concern is dominated by concern of a possible monopsony. We are getting what we voted for. Sad.

• Like 1

Yes: Like most normal people, I want good government regulation, not bad government regulation.

I think that big corporate transactions which might increase the cost of living should be reviewed carefully. I'm more concerned about the impact on the ordinary people of the Isle of Man than big business.

17 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Michael Josem there, arguing that we should have more red tape because a chain with nine stores wasn’t a monopoly but a chain with ten stores is a monopoly.

My head hurts.

It's not 10v9 argument. It's 1v1 be it Shoprite and Tesco becoming just 1.

M&S and CoOp aren't really comparable. M&S needs a bigger foodhall to be compared like for like in my view.

The consumer choice for supermarket shopping was in essence Shoprite or Tesco. Now it is Tesco.

I don't think the deal should be stopped but the following should be licensed with the deal;

1) Protections for existing local suppliers where possible or at least give them a path/opportunity to supply.

2) Licensing for other operators relaxed. Let M&S expand somewhere, enable other competitors to expand in to our market.

Look at the reasons Tesco couldn't get in to Castletown for pt2.

I think the previous Shoprite owners acted monopolistic, yes. Their attitude towards the gaming company planning when they'd sold the land was disgusting. Their previous objections to others likewise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CrazyDave said:

How do you think or propose that is going to happen

Irrespective of price and quality, local products should be sold and none of your nasty foreign muck?

Plenty of Cornish products at Tesco in Helston.

12 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Irrespective of price and quality, local products should be sold and none of your nasty foreign muck?

Plenty of Cornish products at Tesco in Helston.

And in Scotland they have a substantial amount of local products, plus square sausages!

Anything is possible.

• Like 1