Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Tesco in Ireland have an area specific in their stores   for the sale of Local (irish) produce  no reason why they can't  have that here  it just needs someone in government to get off their arse  and talk to them about it 

Robinsons I am concerned about, but they have already begun diversifying their business model to include  a restaurant   coffee shop ,offices  an industrial park  so they are survivors , if Manx Farmers want to survive then  they should be growing what the market wants , we cant eat grass or areas set aside for the environment  thats  where  government must revisit its agricultural policies and give the correct level of support  the industry  to start to produce things the consumer wants to buy , 

this Green agenda has completely destroyed any common sense  in the department that controls agriculture and if we are not careful  the industry will follow the tourist sector  under the  department of Enterprise and eventually go  in the same direction    ,down the pan , !  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

It's not 10v9 argument. It's 1v1 be it Shoprite and Tesco becoming just 1.

Tesco only had one store though, the same as M&S. Shoprite had nine. In Peel and Port Erin there wasn’t any competition before and there isn’t any competition now. In Ramsey the competition was Co-Op vs Shoprite, now it’s Co-Op vs Tesco.

As you say, Shoprite have always been brilliant at pulling levers to stop competitors? Didn’t Tesco have to use the Co-Op as a front to get planning for Lake Road?

I don’t get the hand-wringing. It’s not like Shoprite have ever been a lovable little local company.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Maybe we just don't have the clout to get Tesco to so stock Manx produce?

Do they sell Kippers and if they did, would we complain that it affects Devereaux ?

They do sell Manx kippers. 

Edited by Gladys
To add
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Maybe we just don't have the clout to get Tesco to so stock Manx produce?

Tesco stock plenty of Manx produce, including Isle of Man meat.

I hope there’s a place on their shelves for Davison’s, etc, but equally I normally go to EVF for those sorts of things already.

• Like 2

I get my milk delivered twice weekly by Isle of Man Creameries, I can also get Manx eggs,cheese, potato’s , butter,cream, and other products.   The service is free and very efficient orders by email and payment by DD.    It is a great service and they are very pleasant to deal with.    They also do Noah’s bread.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Josem said:

I'm more concerned about the impact on the ordinary people

Are you really concerned or is it rather that you have decided to find an angle - a way of reinforcing the idea that you would be doing a better job of governing us if you had ever been elected. As part of your never ending campaign to one day finally get elected as an MHK.

But I doubt you will find much traction with this issue. It's really not that important.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Tesco in Ireland have an area specific in their stores   for the sale of Local (irish) produce  no reason why they can't  have that here  it just needs someone in government to get off their arse  and talk to them about it 

Robinsons I am concerned about, but they have already begun diversifying their business model to include  a restaurant   coffee shop ,offices  an industrial park  so they are survivors , if Manx Farmers want to survive then  they should be growing what the market wants , we cant eat grass or areas set aside for the environment  thats  where  government must revisit its agricultural policies and give the correct level of support  the industry  to start to produce things the consumer wants to buy , 

this Green agenda has completely destroyed any common sense  in the department that controls agriculture and if we are not careful  the industry will follow the tourist sector  under the  department of Enterprise and eventually go  in the same direction    ,down the pan , !  

Have Robinsons also started a restaurant .. Isn't it Rileys who have the restaurant/ coffee shop ? They have done a nice job recently with the refurbishment of that area.