Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

I remember the Baxters, gentle folk! rather than traders so presumably the business was established by then?

Weren't the Wilson-Spratts snr involved at some point? How? Admin/investors perhaps?

The Baxters had a Daimler 6 speed pre-selector, quite a revelation in it's day?

I do feel sorry for any staff that will lose their jobs. Like most of us, they have bills to pay. It will be the "small" people who will be worse affected. The ones at the top, like the Nicholsons, will continue to thrive, for better or for worse. *They* never gave two thoughts when they opened Winerite, how it would affect smaller businesses (more than likely they did, but didn't give a shit). I remember a newspaper/convenience shop (where the funeral headstone shop, Cubbon's, is now, next door to Homerun Pizza on Broadway) having to close a few months after Winerite opened and they drove him out of business (if I remember rightly, they used to sell newspapers at the beginning as well). Survival of the fittest indeed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Mollag will be along in a few minutes with a photo to remind everyone exactly where it was! 😁

As if by magic,--Gladys, spot on as ever, some fine 70's [1975?] signwork, they moved futther up Strand st to where WH Smith is presently..  Conibears had a fine shop on Market hill and a warehouse/depot opposite the Town Hall.

Dale and Colvin, greengrocers, they morphed into Motor body repair.

Strand St c1975.jpg

connibears.jpg

Dale and Colvin truck on the Stone Bridge.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I remember those days well. We would all get off the bus and go to the shops where most lived above the store. Yhe Hortstuis lot first. Then Richard Newson (the tobacconist on the corner) then the Hewitts (jewellers now Samuel's). The Talaveras would go on to their hotel (The Marina)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mollag said:

As if by magic,--Gladys, spot on as ever, some fine 70's [1975?] signwork, they moved futther up Strand st to where WH Smith is presently..  Conibears had a fine shop on Market hill and a warehouse/depot opposite the Town Hall.

Dale and Colvin, greengrocers, they morphed into Motor body repair.

Strand St c1975.jpg

connibears.jpg

Dale and Colvin truck on the Stone Bridge.jpg

Thanks Mollag.  I was wrong about Conibears though!  :flowers:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I don’t really buy bread unless we have house guests so the last time I did it was Ramsey Bakery.

Does anyone have any idea when these Tesco loaves would have been baked, and what the shelf life is on them?

Baked in UK on day 1. Brought over on 02.15 sailing on day 2. On shelves by 09.00 on day 2.

We buy bread from Tesco. Once a week. I stays fresh enough for the week

• Like 6