Laxey Wheel visitors centre

CallMeCurious

Just now, CallMeCurious said:

Apologies if there is a thread on this already but thought this video was quite entertaining;

Welcome to the Isle of Man, where any hint of progress or modern stuff is shunned.

If there was nothing there now, and the current one that was built 30 years ago was being proposed he would be mowing about that as well.

It looks like a cost effective way to build something fairly quickly in the off season that will be cheap to heat and maintain.

Stop mowing and get it done, but we won’t because idiots like CG will moan and whinge and drag the whole process out costing us all thousands in the meantime.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Welcome to the Isle of Man, where any hint of progress or modern stuff is shunned.

If there was nothing there now, and the current one that was built 30 years ago was being proposed he would be mowing about that as well.

It looks like a cost effective way to build something fairly quickly in the off season that will be cheap to heat and maintain.

Stop mowing and get it done, but we won’t because idiots like CG will moan and whinge and drag the whole process out costing us all thousands in the meantime.

Oh I like a good moan about people mowing.

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Did you watch the video? He puts forward a convincing argument that the blue fake-wood portacabin style offering is not appropriate. Are you saying it is? And I don’t buy your argument that it would be cheap to build and quick. Whatever they do will inevitably go way over budget and time, so if something has to be done, let’s prioritise doing it right rather than cheap and/or quick. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Did you watch the video? He puts forward a convincing argument that the blue fake-wood portacabin style offering is not appropriate. Are you saying it is? And I don’t buy your argument that it would be cheap to build and quick. Whatever they do will inevitably go way over budget and time, so if something has to be done, let’s prioritise doing it right rather than cheap and/or quick. 

And then people moan that it takes too long and costs too much.  It’s good they are looking at alternatives.

As for the blue, I am not sure how much faith I put in his colour recreation skills on the video.  I think it would look fine and don’t have an issue with it.

Let’s be honest, there isn’t anything they could propose for there that he wouldn’t moan about for one reason or another.

• Confused 3

From the plans:

"External Cladding A - Canexel (Midnight
Blue - Horizontal
- External Cladding B - Cedar - Vertical"

So I assume it is going to look somewhat like the building in Peel Marina. The first time I saw that building I thought that it might look quite nice when the woodwork was finished - and the second  time I saw it and the third time. But this is perhaps what is called the new brutalism in architecture - or maybe some other words - like "don't give a damn; it's cheap".

Screenshot_2023-12-30_18-53-40.png.ec51b1a23298e11d837411c687b40325.png

"CanExel is the one and only high-density fibre (HDF) engineered siding" - when you want to express your association with historic buildings accept no substitutes, CanExel is the one for you.

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Oh....look who it is.....AGAIN.

Well done Charles I say.

• Thanks 1

Something in keeping with the aesthetic of the wheel itself. As CG pointed out the Tram Shed is in keeping with the original design and that is a  modern steel frame and block building. If cost is the only factor and appearance doesn't matter then drop a couple of portacabins there and be done with it. They are only needed from Masrch to October anyway.

• Like 1