Money

Andy Onchan

4 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Love to see it floated, just to see what the reaction and reasons for keeping Manx coins and notes would be?

The Treasury makes money from printing money. Although probably not as much as it used to.

Sounds like a plan the Manx money is really scruffy most of the time, the only place English money is available, to my knowledge, is Athol St. IOM Bank or the Sea Terminal if you are an Isle of Man Bank customer.   I asked in Regent Street but no was the stern reply, I don’t even know why they have staff there at all they are worse than useless.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Sounds like a plan the Manx money is really scruffy most of the time, the only place English money is available, to my knowledge, is Athol St. IOM Bank or the Sea Terminal if you are an Isle of Man Bank customer.   I asked in Regent Street but no was the stern reply, I don’t even know why they have staff there at all they are worse than useless.

Airport as well

23 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Article in Daily Mail about the British Island, their words not mine,  that is getting rid of small coinage and rounding up to make the economy stronger or words to that effect the following comments from as far away as the USA were similar to the intelligence you find posted on Isle of Man News and Politics.   Very few knew where we were situated. 

The Mail story is quite extraordinary:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13009687/outrage-isle-man-government-phase-pennies-cash-fears-prices-up.html

It's an almost complete copy of the Telegraph one down to the quotes.  No actual reporting work appears to have been done except to replace the Telegraph's photos (which they would otherwise have to pay for) with 'stock' pictures.  And judging by the comments they didn't even do that right at first, illustrating it with US coinage.  It's amazing what passes for journalism these days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Here's an idea Dr Allinson. Stop minting Manx coins and notes altogether and just use English ones.

Imagine the savings...,

That's not how it works.

There's something like £78M in Manx currency in circulation, and the idea (as Manx money might as well say "Bank of Toyland", as Manx money is useless anywhere else) is that they bank the real £78M UK cash and get interest on it.

Plus I'll bet around the world there's at least a couple of £million in Manx notes and coins in coin collections, on golf courses, pinned behind foreign bars and in drawers and attics far away. That's a cash gift to the government (minus only the cost of minting them).

Kerching!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Here's an idea Dr Allinson. Stop minting Manx coins and notes altogether and just use English ones.

Imagine the savings, no faffing changing notes to go to UK, they'll be all you have in shops and cash points and an added bonus Manx notes and coins will become collectors items in the decades to come as they fall out of circulation. And if the UK gets rid of 1p or 2p coins, we'd have to fall in line anyway.

No need for special coin-handling for old pattern Manx £1 coins so ticket machines etc. can be off the shelf. And again if the UK redesigns any coins we'll get the same at no cost to us.

Love to see it floated, just to see what the reaction and reasons for keeping Manx coins and notes would be?

I remember reading somewhere that there is a reason why we are encouraged to  use manx notes.  When manx notes  are printed in the UK,  the IOM  has to deposit the equivalent amount of funds with the UK.

The funds get interest while the local notes circulate over here in the local economy 

I don't know what the actual process is but this was the simple version from someone clever  . 🙂

Edited by mad_manx

4 minutes ago, McCallig said:

Always thought it would be an idea for the IOM to issue a seven pound note ( or coin ). Just for the hell of it.

Or a Pi to the 69th decimal note

3 . 1 4 1 5 9 2 6 5 3 5 8 9 7 9 3 2 3 8 4 6 2 6 4 3 3 8 3 2 7 9 5 0 2 8 8 4 1 9 7 1 6 9 3 9 9 3 7 5 1 0 5 8 2 0 9 7 4 9 4 4 5 9 2 3 0 7 8 1 6

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2024 at 11:23 PM, Roger Mexico said:
On 1/26/2024 at 10:55 PM, Fred the shred said:

The Mail story is quite extraordinary:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13009687/outrage-isle-man-government-phase-pennies-cash-fears-prices-up.html

It's an almost complete copy of the Telegraph one down to the quotes.  No actual reporting work appears to have been done except to replace the Telegraph's photos (which they would otherwise have to pay for) with 'stock' pictures.  And judging by the comments they didn't even do that right at first, illustrating it with US coinage.  It's amazing what passes for journalism these days

Journalism?   The Daily Mail??

On 1/26/2024 at 9:49 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Now if you're going to ignore the results of a consultation, the sensible way to do it is to do it silently.  Otherwise it comes across to everyone (even the ones that agree with you) as "We asked, you said,...and we replied Fuck Off".   Maybe don't mint any more copper coins, but claim there's no demand or whatever rather than loftily instructing the public that you know what they want better than they do themselves. 

How is he ignoring it?  He said they're not going to withdraw the coins, but did say they're going to continue not minting any. In any case, the consultation had over half of respondents agreeing to remove at least one of the small coins.

"No change as small coins stay in circulation":

https://www.gov.im/news/2023/nov/02/no-change-as-small-coins-stay-in-circulation/