Gerry Conway RIP

Jarndyce

Sad to learn of Gerry Conway’s death yesterday.

First division folk-rock drummer, with a resounding career from Eclection (remember them?), Cat Stevens, Fotheringay, Fairport Convention, etc. Left Fairport a little reluctantly (or so it felt) a year or so back, adamant he wasn’t retiring.   It appears now that he had been diagnosed with MND but didn’t want to tell anyone, including the band.   Married to Jacquie McShee, singer with Pentangle.

He’ll be missed.

Simon Nicol, Fairport’s sole-remaining original member, posted this:

My dearest drumming pal, someone I first worked alongside in about 1968 on various sessions and toured with in Al Stewart’s band way back when.
He stepped away from the Fairport’s Cropredy Convention Official page stage after the Cropredy festival in 2022, and retired from touring.
None of us knew that he was in the early stages of that pernicious horror Motor Neurone Disease – I didn’t know until today, when news of his death filtered out from the protection and privacy he and Jacqui Mcshee sought and deserved.
Wonderfully patient and wise, infuriatingly tardy (!) but always ready and eager to play, and blessed with his own inner calm and solidity, I’m going to miss him more than I can say.

Edited by Jarndyce
Formatting
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 11:55 PM, HiVibes said:

How many divisions of boring shite is there?

There's none of your new-fangled Premier League or Championship in Folk, it is forever pre 1992. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Declan said:

There's none of your new-fangled Premier League or Championship in Folk, it is forever pre 1992

That may be true in the Whitehouse on a Sunday, @Declan, but out in the world there are plenty of “folk” bands with a more contemporary view: Peat and Diesel to name just one…

Anyway, I’m not sure that the Fairports, John Cale, Joan Armatrading, Jethro Tull, etc all count as “folk” in a pure sense - and Gerry Conway played with all of them and many more.

Edited by Jarndyce
@

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Declan said:

Grow up. It was a joke prompted by HiVibes post.

Apologies - haven’t had me coffee yet, misread your intent.

But “grow up”?   Jeez…I thought you were one of the good guys! 🙂

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo

6 hours ago, La Colombe said:

To be fair, 'folk music' is rather too all encompassing and a bit silly. As a term. 'Grow up' is even sillier. 

Neither quite as silly as posting an RIP thread about a bit part player of no real consequence, in an attempt to validate your anonymous internet persona as a muso, when all you did was found out someone no one cares about was dead and so you regurgitate a few quotes from wiki and the first youtube clip with him in no matter how shit it was.

• Haha 1