New joiners

x-in-man

7 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Maybe put a stop on new joiners for a bit to stop the dating junk spam?

How about moderating creation of new threads?

4 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

How about moderating creation of new threads?

I thought that would have been time consuming and a pain in the arse for mods, seeing the number of new posts in a day sometimes.  

There has been a rash of dating sites of late.  All new members.  If no new members, no rashes (from dating sites ..).

The forum may drop off the joining lists as a  'spammable' site?'

35 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Some forums have a thing where you have to have made a specified number of comments before you can start a new thread. A small restriction like that might be helpful?

I'm sure when I started (when the Forum was in Sepia and 96pt Scribe Text) new members had to comment on a few posts before they could scribe a new verse on a tablet.

Plenty of facebook groups don’t allow you to post new stuff until you’re established in some way. If we simply had that first time thread starts had to be moderated it wouldn’t be much more work for the moderators than having to delete the spam once it’s reported.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 10:40 AM, x-in-man said:

There has been a rash of dating sites of late.  All new members.  If no new members, no rashes (from dating sites ..)

Always seems to be new accounts within minutes of joining.  They post 3 threads in different topics, usually with the same domain name.